• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from the SE US.

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
I have been meaning to post here for some time now so here goes.

I am from the south east US, I am on the Georgia / Alabama border just south of Atlanta GA. I have been making pens for about 10 years now. I also have been making bowls for something around 3-4 years. I have an extensive background in many areas including glue/epoxy, sanding/polishing, tap/dies, photography, programming, computer networks, mechanics, electronics, knife making, firearms including black powder, coins/currency; just to name a few hobbies that I have.

Most of my work is found on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ed.street.92

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hello Ed and welcome. All the guys and gals on here are a great buch even though they are a bit mad until they have had their medication. Some with great knowledge and hope you can bring along a little more.

Look forward to seeing some of your work posted on here. Now I will have to go and look at your work you have linked to.

Just took a quick look some very impressive blanks and pens along with other interesting stuff

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
I should also have said that my Fiance is Toni Ransfield and she does amazing polymer clay and for now anyways I am finishing her pens but once she gets moved in we will both be doing that work. I also like showing off other people's work thru my photography.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Welcome to the forum Ed. Your facebook page certainly shows off some very nice pens, a lot in polymer I guess from your Fiance. What are the first ones on your page? are they waterslide decals or something else?

You should enjoy this site, we love learning and also passing on our knowledge.

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
Those are paper cast blanks (PR) by Patterson Grant from Tennessee.IMG_5788.jpg

The ones I most recently uploaded are commercial blanks made form Acrylic Acetate.
IMG_5805.jpg

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
Welcome on board the good ship lollipop.

Some nice looking blanks on your facebook site. I am sure our Grumps will be over the moon to see them.:whistling:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Welcome to the forum Ed. I'm sure we will get to know more about you along the way as well..:thumbs:

Toni already has her followers on here so you have something to strive for ..:devil: :funny:

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Ed, you have some amazing work in your facebook page, i particularly like the edison nouveau spring premiere - lilac kitless pen .. :thumbs:

I have a blank here made by Toni, just need the time to get it on a kit .. Do you do anything to the blanks prior to using the CA Ed? :thinks:

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
The edison nouveau spring premier lilac is from goulet pen company. Edison Nouveau Premiere Fountain Pen - Lilac (Spring 2015) got that for Toni's birthday this month.

As for pre-CA work I always sand with the lathe OFF from bushing to bushing with 800 and then 1500 grit. This is never done with the lathe running as it allows me to detail spot sand and bring out the most detail possible. Also sanding left to right then applying CA with the lathe ON yields a contrast in direction and adds to the 3D effect. Also the brand of CA you use will amplify that as well. For the record I use BSI brand super-gold exclusively for my CA work. This CA does not contain ECA but instead uses Methoxyethyl, it's medical grade, odorless, flexible and quite enjoyable to work with.

Odorless CA | Super-Gold+ Cyanoacrylate
Odorless CA | Super-Gold Cyanoacrylate

Their accelerator does not contain acetone and provides a more reliable and steady cure.
CA Accelerator | Insta-Set

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).