• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Table Saw Vs Bandsaw

Jim

Grand Master
Which of the two would you recommend for cutting pen blanks from blocks of wood anywhere between 2" and 3" thick? I have good results from the bandsaw but i am toying with buying a small sized table saw ... :thinks:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I found table saw blades to be to thick and wasteful on the little bits I do.
Plus I don't have room for one.
I did however manage to obtain a thin 1mm thick saw blade and rig up a mod for my lathe to saw blanks on it.
If I can find the link to the blade I will post it. It does leave a superb finish and little to no waste.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have to agree with that a table saw will give a much better finish but I find a band saw is much quicker and safer and lets be honest the finish isn't important I cut all the whiskey pen blanks for timber bits, turners retreat and two suppliers in America about 60 barrels all on a band saw a table saw wouldn't be able to cope with them because of the shape of the wood my vote would be for a band saw anytime

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
It depends on what I am using the blanks for. If they have to be ABSOLUTELY square, I use the table saw. The bandsaw, even when correctly tuned, can drift on a long cut. 90 percent of the time I use the bandsaw, but for things like inside-out ornaments where the four pieces have to be absolutely identical, I use the table saw. I also use the table saw for cutting VERY thin strips for edge banding or segmenting, again because the bandsaw can drift, and they have to be absolutely uniform in thickness.

Since I am very fond of my fingers, I use a GRR-RIPPER on the table saw

GRR-Ripper® System Presented by Woodcraft - YouTube

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks guys, George i have a 2mm Kerf on the Radial Arm Saw for exactly the same reason, but i hardly use the thing ... :down:

Jed Baxter

Registered
I only have a small band saw Jim so i am unable to help, i have never even thought of adding a table saw to my wish list. :banana:

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Jim surely your radial arm can spin round for ripping just set up a fence system and away you go pushing into the blade ,I have done that in the past and it works ...its designed for it what do you think ..But if you do decide to get a small t/saw look at the evolution it has a dual purpose blade and it is quieter than some cheaper site saws.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I agree with Woody and Sharon. I have both but for small work likes blanks where it is not crucial I would use a band saw. If you do buy one don't buy a Clarke one as I consider them to be lethal!!! Anyway you can't have a table saw and Jet lathe all in one year!!!!! lol:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Jim

Grand Master
Frankie, your right, but i don't have the space to do this where it is at the minute ... I can only stand in front of it ... :rolling:

naxie

Registered
Anyway you can't have a table saw and Jet lathe all in one year!!!!! lol:nonono::nonono::nonono:

I think he's won the lottery and is not letting on, new lathe, table saw, extension and you wait till he posts the pictures of his hot tub!

Seriously though Jim, in a confined space, as most of us have, a ras is ideal. You just need to make more use of it. I wouldn't be without mine. Just watch your fingers!

Davideccroft

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
I'm new to pen making but am now 100% using the band saw. I used various saws and then last weekend bought a band saw mainly for safety reasons. It isn't as good a finish but the length for me is more accurate and pen blank ends are easy to sand before turning.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Bandsaw v Tablesaw no contest. Stationwagon v Sedan Car no contest every workshop tool is designed for a purpose every vehicle a similar claim Horses for courses.

Recently when I cut pen blanks there is no way on earth I would slip into precious Burl with my table saw. Thin kerf careful cutting maximum yield no acadamy award shape ever needed for pen blanks IMHO. Some sellers even sand their blanks they sure look great.

There is no comparison with the two saws ie one is a circular saw the other band saw. Each unit has its own defined use. Two things are crucial safety and set up. Our Wood guild bought a Saw Stop some regard as a necessity for safety any thing else is a compromise
Then you get what you pay for.

For cutting our Burl I use on my 7 foot tall bandsaw the hard faced blades they romp through tough timber. Spend a long time aligning my four band saws so they cut vertical , remove sawdust, the guides are set close to the blade etc everything depends on how you set up, maintain your saws.

As our family grew to eight of us initially we had to make great compromises in accomodation, vehicles, everything all based on NEED. In my workshops now I try to base equipment on needs now facing downsizing all considerations.

Have fun choose well made a tick on my bucket list with a Mercedes SUV arriving a couple of months ago thirteen yrs old together with our Daewoo Leganza 12 yrs old me the only driver who am I to talk about anything you say?

So have another gaze at the recent blanks saved, cut on the bandsaw easily I do draw lines in pencil guide by eye result maximum yield.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF0006-001.JPG
    DSCF0006-001.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 26

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Them thar' table saws look mighty dangerous...I'll stick with my bandsaw for my pen blanks !:sissy:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Had a table saw, sold it. Never used it. Got Steve Maskerys DVD on bandsaws and never had a problem with bandsaw drift. Who cares about the finish if you're cutting pen blanks, you're going to pt it on a lathe and attack it with a sharp instrument?? I've cut veneers with my bandsaws. I've been tempted to add a planer thicknesser to my outfit which would allow me to do segmenting work. Cant see the benefit of a table saw for the work I do. Long cuts, the longest pen I've made was about 120mm??

Jim

Grand Master
Peter, you can shows those pen blanks as many times as you like it doesn't bother us at all .... :rant:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have both a table saw and band saw but if I am cutting blanks to suit the tube length then I use a Japanese pull saw and hand cut. They cut quickly and accurately. Brilliant finish and if anybody wants to only cut blanks this way you can save yourself a lot of brass!!!!!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).