• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Getting slate into powder for blanks

MrJoshua

First Name
Jim
Hi guys

I want to use some local slate to mash into powder/duct in order to mix up with resin and try to make my own stone blanks. I gather the trustone ones say 85% stone and I'm not sure I can do that sort of density with normal polyester resin, but the bit proving tricky right now is mashing up the slate pieces into a nice powder/dust, without getting everywhere but where I want it.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to do this sort of thing please? I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I've slated a lot of roofs in my time and it's easy to create dust if you scrape it. Try using an old sharp wood chisel. Turn yourelf a mortar and pestle if you need to refine it.

You don't live anywhere near me do you? I have a stock of old slates and happen to have a cutter / guillotine which makes dust and fine flakes when it cuts the slate.

MrJoshua

First Name
Jim
Thanks chaps

I've nicked the wife's mortar & pestle from the kitchen but the bashy half of it is wood, so not proving very useful. I might try sticking the bits inside an old sock then hammering it, as that should mostly contain it.

Hadn't thought of scraping but I'll try it, and I'll try a file too (& maybe grinder.....)

Bob - sadly nowhere near as I'm on the isle of man mate, but thanks anyway. :)

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Blend it.

Peter

MrJoshua

First Name
Jim
Doubt she'd be too pleased if I chucked bits of stone in the blender mate - even by my standards I'd be pushing it. I like the idea though I must admit.

And we don't use it often......

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Doubt she'd be too pleased if I chucked bits of stone in the blender mate - even by my standards I'd be pushing it. I like the idea though I must admit.

And we don't use it often......

Look on freecycle then do it in the shed don't matter if you bugger it then and even better no grief from the missus

MrJoshua

First Name
Jim
Don't think we have a coffee grinder. I hate the stuff and she rarely has it.

She probably wouldn't miss the blender though to be fair. It's very very tempting. In fact, I bought that in the first place!

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Another way if you don't need mountains of the stuff, have plenty of slate and time is just get a large masonary drill and drill loads of holes. It creates lots of very fine dust and you could still grind up the bits left over.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Jim with no ncoffee in our house for fifty five years I kept my eye out at garage sales for a hand one found a ripper mounted it to the wall in the workshop I found the chippy or curly scrapings of Ebony a pain to use but ground they turn seamless as infill in burl, I will go take a pic of mine in a while this morning and put it on another post mate.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs:

Philly

First Name
Phil
Put water in with it before grinding. It keeps the air clear and is easily dried out on the windowsill.

Twister

Registered
First Name
Steve
i never read the whole post sorry
have u got a wet tile cutter?
just keep slicing it and collect the slurry
dry it out in the oven

Steve

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).