• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Squaring and drilling blanks,your method?

mattyts

Registered
Out of interest,what method do you use to drill and face off pen blanks prior to turning?
I drill mine on the lathe using the Pennstate ind pen chuck and also face them off with the same chuck and a parting tool although i have used belt sanders and pen mills in the past,i find them the chuck to leave a better finish

Bluefoxy

Drill on the lather using patriot pin jaws and face off on the RS Pro Edge with a 60 grit belt used just for the purpose.

Ray

Jim

Grand Master
Drill on the lather using patriot pin jaws and face off on the RS Pro Edge with a 60 grit belt used just for the purpose.

Ray

I never thought of this Ray, i may just give it a go, does it give you good results ... :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I will be drilling on the lathe as I haven't got room for a pillar drill and a cross vice which is how I had always done it in the past, and I squaring of using the same method as Terry which I still have to make as I sold my old one which I made with metal when I was told I had to stop turning

Ian

Apprentice Member
Drill on the lathe using my jig that slides in the ways with jacobs chuck and 6.9 mm bit for slimline kits. trim with sander disc or pen mill works for me.

Ian

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).