• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

jigsaw puzzle blades

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
As you may know I have bought Ray's scrollsaw from him Scheppach deco 405 vario.
Had a play with it today and made a couple of coaster sized puzzles for the grandchildren with their pictures on them.

What a joy to see their faces light up and the scream from the 3 year old granddaughter "mummy it's me".
Can't show pics cos they wouldn't let go of them and hid them in their bags to take home.
Absolutely priceless, love em to bits init?

To the point, I went to make a larger one of the pair walking hand in hand, having got the gist of how to and broke the blade.
Disaster a huge cloud over Grumpenage in particular the Grumps household, NO SPARE BLADES capable of jigsaw puzzles.
Yes there are spares and I have the 5" Screwfix crappy ones for me old Clarke saw which I can make fit but nothing good enuf to finish what I started.

Throwing myself at your knowledge here, what are the best blades for this task and where can I get them from I have in the past bought flying Dutchman blades from ebay and Olsen blades but that is a distant memory.

What do you scrollers use these days?

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
I think I got mine from Hobbies they were Olsen, most people are giving up on Flying Dutchman blades as they seem to be having problems with them! ..:thinks:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for that Ted, hobbies reveals a lot on google, would you have a link by any chance?

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi Brian,
I always use woodworkingcraftsupplies. Our club use them and recommended them, so I have always used them.
I have beside me the last order I sent for for and they are all Olson.
These
I have a pack of CT62500 and a pack of CT62200
From the same order I have Olsen Reverse tooth and Olsen Skip tooth Skip Tooth, Woodworks Craft Supplies and this assortment pack here
If I can help let me know :thumbs:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Bloody hell Brian yesterday or the day before I dumped a hobbies advert from my pc lol I may have a few blades Pinless ones if you are desperate I can look in the morning mate!

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
I use the No. 2 blade at 0.013" thick. I suppose the thinner the better but you need to split the difference between time to cut/ease of use etc.
There is a good blade use chart on site as well.
Just remember to keep a couple of teeth in contact when cutting ie. on a piece of 1/4" ply you need something like 10 to 12 TPI

EStreet

Registered
First Name
Ed
I have some blades for a scroll saw that's a spiral, it will cut in 360 degree's. I am curious if this would be something of value to this. Keep in mind to that my scroll saw experience is next to nil. I do have one, rarely use it and I suck at it :)

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bloody hell Brian yesterday or the day before I dumped a hobbies advert from my pc lol I may have a few blades Pinless ones if you are desperate I can look in the morning mate!

Thanks for the offer Ted, I ain't desperate mate plenty of other things to get on with while they come through the post init?

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I get my blades from the same place as Don. Another chart worth keeping is this one.

Attachments

• Blade Chart.pdf
    471.2 KB · Views: 12

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The road to success is paved with many skills this one is sure to lead to happiness with the grands. There were years when SWMBO had her own shed 5 saws, belt Sander etc she chose the Dremel pin bladed over the others for downright ease of use just squeeze and the blade is on or off one day she said they are all yours back again. Gave them away to a grandson still got the Hegner cost near 1500 at the time. How the tools get cheap now.

Peter.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for the help and advise, I have ordered the CT62200 from here among others.
Got a goodly selection on the way to me init?

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I have some blades for a scroll saw that's a spiral, it will cut in 360 degree's. I am curious if this would be something of value to this. Keep in mind to that my scroll saw experience is next to nil. I do have one, rarely use it and I suck at it :)

I tried these but with my limited use with a scrollsaw, they were bloody impossible to cut a straight line.:vangry:

cowboy

Registered
here you go Grump a jigsaw pattern for you practice on Steve Good pattern is a good site to get free patterns tips and tricks

Attachments

• heartpuzzle2.pdf
    734.6 KB · Views: 13

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Brian, don't try the spiral :nonono:
The CT62200 is ideal for cutting ply about 1/4" (about 5 or 6 mm) I have some pieces in the shed I will look them out now.

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi Grump.
I have taken a couple of pics of the throwaways I did for the club demos. The kids loved them :thumbs:
If you stick Palapeli on your Ubuntu machine you can install and run it easily, it may even be in your repos.
The programme will take any picture and cut it into as many jig saw shaped (or other shaped) pieces as you wish.
I usually use it on family holiday pics and the grandkids spend ages working with them.
As usual any problems just ask :thumbs

pic2a.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).