• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Old Engineers Center Finder

Jim

Grand Master
I have had this tool for years, it is part of late fathers collection, but i have not really took much notice of it until today, now i know it is a center finder but how does it work ... :whistling:

center_finder.jpg

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Hold the two lugs on the edge of the circle and strike a line down the straight edge.
Turn approx 45 degrees do same again you have found the center.

Jim

Grand Master
Hold the two lugs on the edge of the circle and strike a line down the straight edge.
Turn approx 45 degrees do same again you have found the center.

Thanks George, now that is easier than i thought ... :goesred:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have had this tool for years, it is part of late fathers collection, but i have not really took much notice of it until today, now i know it is a center finder but how does it work ... :whistling:

center_finder.jpg

Easy Jim. They still use the same method today. Supposing you had a piece of round bar the 2 studs sit facing down onto the round curvature and then you draw a line on the straight edge which should pass through the centre line of the round bar. You then move the studs around to another section of the curvature and repeat. Where the 2 lines intersect is the centre of the round bar!!!!!
I hope that makes sense.:whistling:

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
You can use it to find the center of square pieces, too. Put it nubby side down and fit a corner firmly in between the two pins. Draw a line. Then do the same thing on another corner. Where they cross is the center. I have a very small one I use for finding the center of pen blanks.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).