• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wood V's Other Materials For Pen Making

When making pens what is your prefered material.

• Total voters

Jim

Grand Master
Having posted some acrylic pens today George commented that he prefers wood for his pens .. This got me thinking on how many here actually prefer wood to other materials .. So lets see ... :thumbs:

mattyts

Registered
I prefer wood for its cost and the fact no piece is the same whereas Corian and Acrylic are 'manufactured' to look a set way but on the other hand,i find Corian and Acrylic easier to turn and finish

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I say wood it is my first love for turning although I do turn other materials because they are what's wanted by lot of people

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Opinion only but I don't just prefer wood I believe it's what the art of creating fine writing instruments is all about.
There is nothing to compare a fine burr with a piece of plastic.
Go shopping for pens an see what choices are available for commercial pens, you will have to look hard to find something as different as wood.
Take your wooden pen with and compare it on the shop shelf with all the plastic that is so cheap and common.
Then come back here and look at Davids virtually kitless pen and get inspired.
Whatever material you choose to use be creative, sorry Jim you're going to hate me for this.
All your pens are the same doesn't matter what colour or material you have trademarked yourself dear chap, one look and it's plain to see Jim made that.
Stop digging go to work George.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Personal preference - I LIKE working with wood. Nothing against acrylic, all comments re it's working and finish I also find to be true, but I just don't LIKE it. Bit like George, I suppose.

Nowt queer as folk, I guess.

Jim

Grand Master
sorry Jim you're going to hate me for this.

Why should i do that, if i didn't want opinions i wouldn't post my pens ... :bwink:

All your pens are the same doesn't matter what colour or material you have trademarked yourself dear chap, one look and it's plain to see Jim made that.
Stop digging go to work George.

I make a pen that sells, and to people who come back, so why change what works? :whistling:

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Although I have nothing against plastics, wood is my passion, and I just love seeing how it unfolds in front of me, be it making a piece of furniture or a pen.

However, I do enjoy using and experimenting with different materials, but get the most satisfaction out of trying to make a piece of wood look amazing!

Gav

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I love the wood but i have a wife and daughters who love the fancy colours. It is the colours that they like and not the material so we have to cater for all in what ever material is available.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
but get the most satisfaction out of trying to make a piece of wood look amazing!

Gav

No need to it does that all by itself, every piece of wood is just amazing in itself, much like people really, some you love others are only fit for the fire but still amazing.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
I'm with George on this one - wood every time. Each pen is totally unique and some of the wood grain is amazing.

keith

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).