• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

It isn't as easy as it looks is it?

paulloseby

Apprentice Member
First Name
Paul
I saw George Watkins' blanks and thought they were absolutely fantastic. I never like doing anything unless I can do it well and decided that I could do the casting too. As usual I bought all of the expensive kit - the pressure pot - the vacuum chamber - I made the moulds (but have since bought and never used moulds from Fred Wissen) - bought the Aluminite - the colours etc. I even had some worthless woods shipped over from Australia. Well I give up. After months of walking round stained up to the eyeballs in colour and them not being a patch on George's, I have decided to cut my losses and sell it all (the casting/vacuum stuff not my lathe etc).

People think that it is easy and inexpensive. George told me that it wasn't but enthusiasm beat common sense on that occasion and I still went ahead with it.

Anyway I will be putting the items on the for sale section. I am in Leicester.

It's not often that I get beaten but I take my hat off to you George - I couldn't get close to yours.

Paul

Jim

Grand Master
It is a shame Paul, but your going to make someone a happy chappy with your gear .. :thumbs:

Just another thing Paul, can you share the vender that you bought the worthless wood from ??

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Better to have tried and failed Paul than not tried at all but trying to emulate Georges' blanks is like getting into a car and trying to be like Lewis Hamilton. Someone is going to have a good buy there :thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Sorry to hear that Paul. That is a bargain for some one. I would dearly love the stuff but it is too far to travel for me. As has been said 'better to try and fail than never to try at all'
Good luck.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).