• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hello from Birmingham

paul1020

First Name
paul
Hi
Was retired from work ex tool maker about 10 years ago due to health and needed something to stop me going mad.

Got into turning has was looking at improving my old woodworking skills.But could not find a club but by luck found awoodturning club (Black Counrty Woodturners)on the net and went along had a go and was hooked.

That was about 18months ago only just got a lathe so tuning firewood by design.

Problem I have is getting wood to practice with at a low cost.apart from pine.

Thank you for the welcome
Paul

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Hi Paul, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it. I'm sure someone will be able to give you the info you're after.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Hi Paul and welcome.

If you're looking for something to "stop me going mad" you've come to the wrong place, they're all mad as hatters on here :ciggrin:- 'cept me!:banana: if you're looking for good humoured help and advice from a great bunch of guys, come on in and fill ya boots.:thumbs:

Plenty of sources for cheap or free wood, especially if it's for practice. Yours / family / friends garden, prunings, roots trees etc. Cheap firewood suppliers, Skips, freecycle etc for old hardwood furniture old broom and spade handles, curtain poles etc. Just put the word about locally and you'll be amazed what's around.
Pity you don't live near me as I've got loads.

Post some pics of what you're doing. Better than words as some of us can't read.:whistling:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Hi and welcome Paul pull up a seat and decide for yourself what this old bunch are like.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You poor ol bugger now your in you wont ever get out hope you brung your medication with you your going to need it

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome to the forums Paul .. :thumbs:

Your right in thinking that i am the only one sane around here .. :wink:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Welcome to the forum. Free wood is all around, dropping my Granddaughter back home today I saw two guys cutting down a Cherry tree and another one tomorrow, take as much as you want I was told. I forgot to get some before I left, but it will come round again another time. Look on freecycle there's always wood on there.

Peter

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
ows ya doin busta... thats my brummie exhausted... :funny:

Welcome Paul, if you want to pop down to the west country you can fill your car with ash, oak, birch, hazel and a few other bits and pieces.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Welcome Paul. Any tree removal companies in your area? On this side of the pond they will gladly dump a load in your driveway instead of hauling it away.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).