• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Homemade 'Rowdys Chuck Jaws'

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
As I have no Pillar drill I have to use my lathe to drill my pen blanks but with the Axminster K10 Chuck and the smallest Jaws I have, am limited to a mininmum of 19mm sq blanks.This is not the best.
So as to grip and drill the centers of smaller blanks I have made my own version of Chuck Jaws out of some old oak I had lying around. Mine design can close down to a minimum of 3mm (securely) and being made from wood does not mark my blanks etc...

IMAG0195.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

To enable the jaws to work correctly I had to turn a groove in the back of my Chuck Jaws as shown in last photo so that they would seat nicely on the Accessory Mounting Jaws, marking/numbering them up so that I get good repeatabilty. Now I can accurately drill the centers of all my blanks. :banana:

Comments welcome!:bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
That is one of the neatest mods I have ever seen, you know I love the innovation of people to come with brilliant things like this.
Absolutely Fantastic, well done sir I am bound to copy that.

Jim

Grand Master
A nice piece of innovation Rowdy, i take my hat off to you as i know this was harder to make than it looks ... :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done Rowdy they look very handy for lathe drilling but I'm still not convinced I may be getting another pillar drill and cross vice I find it quicker

mattyts

Registered
Did you drill and mount the piece of wood to the lathe,turn it round then cut the rings for the accessory jaws then cut into quarters? Looks great

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Yes, you nearly got it, Mounted it between centers, rounded, cut rings (the hardest bit to get right), drill the center and mounting holes (counter-sink), then cut into quarters. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).