• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bandsaw Sled

Jim

Grand Master
Spent this afternoon making up a Bandsaw Sled, it helps when cutting up segmented blanks to glue back together.

I used a UJK Technology mitre slot bar as these fit perfect In my bandsaw slot ..

bandsaw_jig.jpg

I used 18mm MDF for the sled with a 38mm overhang on each side of the table. Size marked out ready to cut.

bandsaw_jig1.jpg

Once the sled was cut i marked out where the mitre slot bar was to go ..

bandsaw_jig2.jpg

I didn’t have any screws to fit the pre-tapped screw holes so i retapped them and fasted the bar to the sled ..

bandsaw_jig3.jpg

I then planed down a piece of rough Mahogany i had laying about to use for the push bar ..

bandsaw_jig4.jpg

I screwed the push bar on to the sled, then screwed another piece of MDF to the front of it .. This protects the push bar and can be replaced when needed.

bandsaw_jig5.jpg

bandsaw_jig6.jpg

Then fitted a straight edge to the opposite side to the slot bar to help keep the sled square when in use ..

bandsaw_jig7.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
This picture shows the blank pushed up to the block which allows me to cut the same thickness each time ..

bandsaw_jig8.jpg

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Great idea Jim but we don't get that much snow here in the Midlands so I don't think my bandsaw would get that much use out of a purpose built sled !

:thinks:Vic:thinks:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Great job Jim I must get around to making one myself.

What is that funny contraption in the fifth picture:devil::funny::funny::funny:

Wrongway

First Name
Robbie
Interesting project Jim. I was in the process of making something similar based on a video I saw below.
Might have a bit of a rethink now. Especially the mitre slot bar which I presumed you picked up at Axminster. I was going to try and make the bar. Did you manage to identify the thread on the bar before tapping.

Jim

Grand Master
Did you manage to identify the thread on the bar before tapping.

I didn't Mark, but i tapped it out to fit a 6mm .. I have made the slot bars myself in the past but have found once i have screwed them in position it creates swelling and no matter how much i sand i still get a small area that seems to make the sled catch ..

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
I didn't Mark, but i tapped it out to fit a 6mm .. I have made the slot bars myself in the past but have found once i have screwed them in position it creates swelling and no matter how much i sand i still get a small area that seems to make the sled catch ..

If it made for the seppo market it will be 1/4-20 threaded holes.:thinks:
That is what the ones sold in Aust are.

Jim

Grand Master
My first cuts with the sled today .. :ciggrin:

bandsaw_sled.jpg

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).