• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Mark 2 pens

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
TB have had a visitation from the law, or so it would appear. The Bolt Action is no longer available for shipping to the US but TB have launched the Mk 2 in Gold, Chrome and Triv Chrome. Small detail change on the bolt action apparently and it would appear that the tubes for the new Mk 2 will either be slightly longer or shorter than the first one. Just as well I only turned sixty of the old style tubes at the craft fair over the weekend then!!

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
No! It wouldn't work. When you cut through the tube it deflects and the wood veneer on the tube would come away, it would make a dogs dinner of the wood anyway even with the finest bandsaw blade. I've ordered some of the new mark 2 kits in gun metal, they're coming snail mail to avoid the customs so I'll post a comparison when they arrive in a couple of weeks.

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Extend the refill by the difference plastic rod from a childrens game or cut some chop sticks and slip them inside to take u the differnce.
Head for thinking feet for dancing:sob:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Neil,

A little something I made for cutting carefully using my Hercus Metal Lathe the base could easily be made to fit a wood lathe these black cut off disks brought to a revolving tube give controlled cut. I use mine for cutting grooves on steel rod to fit circlips, cutting tool steel , cutting brass cartridges etc. The main holder is an extruded aluminium section used on heavy truck tailgates to house the heavypins that hold the gate in swivel almost perfect size then a plate of Corian, the base fits the tool holder gives 360 degrees the Dremel has variable speed what more could you want okay a built in bar.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

Attachments

• Test Photos with Digital Camera 030.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 030.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 33

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
A nifty jig Peter but I can see it being misconstrude in as much as on your Hercus you can wind the toolpost laterelly keeping it perpendicular to the workpiece.
The mere fact it swivels 360 could cut a radius if mounted in a banjo. not that is wrong but just to make peope aware.

Jim

Grand Master
After my last visit to T/R the wife commented on these kits saying how different a pen would be made with one of these kits .. I was due a short order from T/B's so i am now in possession of a couple of these, lets see what comes of them ... :ciggrin: Don't know if they are Mk one or Two thou ... :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
George,

Waffle fixed in a tool post is just that at centre height then some simple forward, back control easy breezy the 360 degree base under mine in aluminium is locked in place not swiveled in use. This should be viewed as conceptual not a primer with measurements once again not for the fainthearted. Been made and used for a long time now the beauty for me is the Dremel fits in out in 30 seconds, I have four dremels used for so many purposes its easier for me to locate them where I want to use them.

When fixed at the tool post the chuck can be turned by hand to give infinite control as well. On my design machine on another subject I use a seventy two toothed gear as an indexer as well if I can do these things and I represent the average guy all things are possible. I made my first wood lathe from scratch it worked famously. Check out the price of a Taig Lathe in England go to Google and look up Taig Lathes and be prepared to be blown away just how cheap, how small and versatile they are I have and use two of them one dedicated. I hear so many times on this forum about limited space etc.

I cant tell you how excited I was to see the new man step up to the plate with rediculously cheap blank prices today no excuses left for anybody to have what they want. I waited to hear from anyone when I told you all of Richard Raffans Timber by now I would have rung him from England having enquired freight from your PO and the exchange ordered some. Look up Richard Raffan on Google by the time you guys catch up it will be too late me personally I have two to three thousand blanks touching 79 yrs and just perhaps I dont NEED any timber from him I have a shipment of blanks coming from a guy who is like the new guy on the site here now.

Words of caution tread carefully wholesalers do not will not hand pick the best of everything the standard blank can mean 24 different things to everyone remember the reason guys like Timberbits buy whole Logs of specific timbers as handling by pros is reduced and quick sales result.

I made several mistakes chiefly with my mate in burls introducing friends woodies to him after hassling for ages picking thru innumerable burls one day clock faces my mate said that will be X dollars then the other guy made him an offer and said Peter because you brought this fellow he can have it at his price but you pay me the difference and the shallow so and so accepted and had ME pay the difference lesson learnt I am very careful when I direct anyone and know that pros can handle thousands of dollars worth of product in the time some lousy tight arsed person loses you a good mate. When I buy I try to say give me your best price first and then buy within my means keeping respect between the two parties.

Anyway my Mum told me when I was young pay cash if you can dont run accounts you can shop where you choose. Not bad advice over here we use direct payments electronically for preference direct into the purchase providors individual bank BSB no from our own Credit Union or Bank. I suspect Paypal is still safest internationally but comes with a sting like a Wasp more than once.

Kind regards Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).