• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wooden section/grip

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I was asked recently how I do these, so here goes (all dimensions for Gents/Chairmans/Statesman):

Cut a length of brass rod about 35mm long. Square off one end and centre drill for the live centre. Re-position in the chuck and reduce the diameter of the first 21mm to 8.8mm (or so). (For a Rollerball, drill about 15mm into the rod with a 7.5mm drill bit, then thread with an M8 x 0.75 tap.)

photo 1.JPG

Turn the rod around in the chuck, square off and centre drill for the live centre. Reduce the balance of the rod to a diameter of 9.8mm (or so). Thread this section with an M10 x 0.75 die. Drill through the rod with an 8mm drill bit. (For a Rollerball use a 7.5mm drill bit.) Reduce the area of the threading to about 7mm long by reducing the diameter from the end to about 9mm. Part off about 3mm from the threaded section.

photo 2.JPG

Test the thread fit to the barrel. For a Rollerball, test the thread fit to the tip.

photo 4.JPG

From a blank matching the pen, cut off a section approx 25mm long. Centre drill with a 9mm drill bit. Square off the end which will be closest to the threads before gluing in the brass tube. Then trim to length and square off the other end. For a Fountain pen, after squaring off you MUST flood the end grain with thin CA, wait to dry then square off agin without goiung through the CA. (This end will be dipped into ink, so has to be sealed.)

photo 5.JPG

Turn down to 11.2mm at the threaded end, about 10.5mm at the other end. These measurements are critical as the cap threading limits the size but if they are too small the cap may cross-thread. Shape the centre to taste.

For a fouintain pen, remove the nib and feed from the feed housing. Apply two-part epoxy to the outside of the feed housing (after testing that it is an easy fit into the brass tube) and slide it into the section. (If you apply epoxy to the inside of the tube, the feed housing will push it backward and may clog the feed nipple. DAMHIKT. If you use thick CA you will have a nightmare cleaning up. DAMHIKT.)

Re-fit the nib and feed, and sit back to admire your handiwork. Will post pics of this pen in the SOYP forum later this evening.

Jim

Grand Master
David thanks for adding this, you make it sound easy ... I wish ... :whistling: With your permission i would like to add this to the tutorials page.... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).