• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Which pen kits would you recommend?

Maurice

Hi folks, your advice would be appreciated. I have been making Sierra and Cigar pens but would like to start and make something with a little more prestige without breaking the bank. I have been looking at the Baron and the Gentlemen’s classic in the catalogues but I have not had the opportunity to see them for real. Am I looking in the right direction or would you recommend something else?
Also where would you recommend I buy the kits from? With some of the catalogue dealers also selling on Ebay you have to ask yourself how good their kits are.
Happy turning.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
The Baron and the Gentlemen’s classic are two fine pens, so you certainly are looking in the right direction. :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
Hello Maurice, Timberbits is certainly the place to go, if you spend $80 AUD not sure what it converts to the GBP? He also sells JR Gentleman's pen kits for a very reasonable price for a quality looking pen. The Baron and the Gentlemen’s classic are also a good choice. :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I would recommend all of them and none of them at the same time.
If you want to see and feel all of the pen kits look out for Neil's stall at the craft fairs, I am sure he would be happy to tell you where they are.
Don't get too deeply into conversation with him he will baffle you.
I started my turning with the Jnr Gents and Roman Harvest then moved to Slimlines (wrong in some peoples eyes but I never new any better) I have very quickly become disillusioned with all the kits available to us and am now of the opinion it doesn't matter where you get them from it's pot luck on batch quality from manufacturer.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I would recommend all of them and none of them at the same time.
If you want to see and feel all of the pen kits look out for Neil's stall at the craft fairs, I am sure he would be happy to tell you where they are.
Don't get too deeply into conversation with him he will baffle you.
I started my turning with the Jnr Gents and Roman Harvest then moved to Slimlines (wrong in some peoples eyes but I never new any better) I have very quickly become disillusioned with all the kits available to us and am now of the opinion it doesn't matter where you get them from it's pot luck on batch quality from manufacturer.
I'm going to rename you George to Grump No 2 LOL personally I have never had a dodgy kit from timber bits and would recommend all the kits mentioned from there I have been buying from David for quite a few years

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I'm going to rename you George to Grump No 2 LOL personally I have never had a dodgy kit from timber bits and would recommend all the kits mentioned from there I have been buying from David for quite a few years
Did I mention any names Lord Woody?
To be more specific the Chinese kits are of a lesser quality than the Taiwan kits, probably the best of the kits available to us are the Dayacom ones from Taiwan.
But we don't know where our kit is coming from until we actually have it in our mitt all we see is a picture of a pen when we make our internet purchase.
Disagree with me if you wish But I have now purchased kits from all over the world and keep coming to the same conclusion, yes some are better than others but I fear none are of a quality I would like for the price I pay.
Grump 2 wait till tell him you'll get what for I am sure.:face:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
George, the best definition I ever heard for a cynic was "a passionate person who has been disappointed too many times". Your post just reminded me of that! :bwink:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
George, the best definition I ever heard for a cynic was "a passionate person who has been disappointed too many times". Your post just reminded me of that! :bwink:
I am sorry to be cynical and wish I weren't but I see no point in beating about the bush and believe in straight talking whether I am right or wrong.
I can always apologise if I am wrong but the man has asked for opinions and I have given mine which is to try to avoid Chinese kits and look for the Dayacom kits where possible but don't be shy of buying from wherever you can get them.
I have bought some crap from sellers who have done there best to make recompense when I have complained, I have not found a bad seller yet in any of them but I have found some poor quality kits and not just at the cheaper end of the market.
I have some Majestic squire kits at home that I am not looking forward to making up as nothing fits together on them without considerable work in doing so.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Let's name names, Ebay is Fun e turnz in the main, Helen and Chris run the outfit. I think that they buy from David on some of their kits, for instance they are selling Bolt Action kits at a price that could only come from TB. However their bullet twist kit is not from TB nor PSI that I can make out as it is a complete bag of spare parts, its terrible. I thought that they also bought their Jr Gents from TB bu they do a gun metal which TB dont so they might buy direct from China. If you want to buy 500+ kits then you too can buy direct! I looked into it but didn't reckon that a stand full of Jr Gents Gold Fountain pens only would be much business sense!

David is a safe bet, I don't know what his ancestoral roots are but I believe that he has half his genes in the Chinese area and being an engineer he has been able to travel to Taiwan and communicate and deal with the producers and get a good deal on both quality and price.

I don't like the older Berea kits, the round and flat top pens, their website used to be very defensive about their engineering stating on their home page the top three reasons why handmade pens don't work, stating poor component alignment, poor workmanship and something else - Hmmm?? The PSI kits are a good bet and normally ok, again their bullet twist and others from their shooting range are not those that I would buy by preference.

Other sources, Stiles and Bates, limited and used to sell on from Craft Supplies, not really a pen turners shop of choice but do splendid woods
Turners Retreat, Berea in the main
Snainton, never used them so dont know what they sell
Woodturningz, great service, PSI reseller
Beartooth Woods never used them
Exotic Blanks Very helpful
PSI direct, a plague well worth being innoculated against and since TB now do the bolt action, an experience well worth avoiding, they are the most unhelpful bunch with their customer service heads so buried up their own *****.
Axminster, an unusual mix of kits sourced from a variety f places, but would avoid their Sierra kits (the black barrel) which are the same source as Woodturningz Mesa kits, their is an engineering issue in that the outer tube doesnt grip the mechanism to twist it properly.

Anyway, only my opinion, others will have theirs!

I'm at Prestwold Hall, near Loughborough this weekend so if anyone is in the area pop in and I'd love to have a yarn with you.

nimrod

Graduate Member
First Name
Robin
I have always Used Turners Retreat pen kits, I have made ball point, roller, fountain pens and pencils in various designs and have always been very satisfied with the quality of the kits and the service I get, but looking at the comments on pen kits I think I will certainly be trying Timber Bits.

Jim

Grand Master
I'm at Prestwold Hall, near Loughborough this weekend so if anyone is in the area pop in and I'd love to have a yarn with you.

Giz a shout when you are in West Yorkshire Neil .... :kiss:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).