• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Segmented Holly and Ebony Slimline Pen

Jim

Grand Master
A segmented twist style Slimline pen, using Ebony and Holly and finished with chrome accents ...

segmented_holly_and_ebony.jpg

segmented_ebony_and_holly.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
How i made the blanks for this pen

I glued the two pieces together which was about 150mm long, then halved them, put them together adding a small amount of CA on each end then cut the shape on the bandsaw. This then mirrored each barrel.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Thats a smart pen Jim, i like how the barrels match with the opposite colour. :thumbs:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Jim, the more I see of your segmented stuff the more I want to know HOW YOU DO IT! Really great looking pen!

I guess my biggest questions are: do you plane the mating faces of the blanks before gluing? What glue do you use? When the mating faces run at an angle to the length of the pen blank how do you ensure the pieces don't slide out of position while the glue sets?:idontknow:

Jim

Grand Master
I started to make segmented pens David because i had lots of cut off's, as i hate throwing anything away. You will find as long as all the cut off's have squared edges you can glue just about anything to anything. So one weekend i set about gluing up some cut off's, don't worry about pieces being bigger than others or how ugly the blank looks, as you can use a sander to square it off ready to drill, and once you start to to turn it suddenly it doesn't look as ugly ... When the final sanding and polish is done your ugly duckling becomes a beautiful looking pen ...

I guess my biggest questions are: do you plane the mating faces of the blanks before gluing?

No planning done at all, all you need to do is make sure that the two blanks that you decide to use have all the same diameters ...

What glue do you use?

I use medium CA on all my gluing, thin for filling in ...

When the mating faces run at an angle to the length of the pen blank how do you ensure the pieces don't slide out of position while the glue sets?

I cut the two blanks in half, and then use half of each blank for the cutting. A small drop of CA on the very edge of the bottom blank is enough to blanks both blanks while you do the cutting on either a bandsaw or scroll saw ...

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Thanks for that, Jim - really helpful. I'm still a little foggy on the last one, but I think the best might be to give it a try before asking any more questions. That way I at least know what I don't know, if you get my drift.

I also hate to throw off cuts out, so you can guess the reason for my interest! As far as ugly ducklings go, I saw your 'lapse in concentration' blank and then the finished pen. So I get some idea of the transformation!

David

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).