• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Methods for sanding bits for segmenting

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Terry, I'm sure you'll get lots of different answers to this one! For me it varies from "I don't sand" to "on the belt sander". For feathering and celtic cross stuff where you don't actually cut the blank apart there is not much you can do to get into the kerf and sand - maybe fold a piece of sandpaper double and slide it up and down in the cut to get rid of the worst of the rough stuff. For more complex segementing where the angle of the cut is critical (like my AdAstra) you can't be too free with sanding or you will alter the angle and ruin the join, so I use diamond warding files to carefully clean up the surfaces. Where it is long straight pieces I just run them over the belt sander (with a very worn old belt on) to flatten them. I use gap-filling glue too (thick CA or two-part epoxy) so that any gaps will be filled.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The only segmented pens I have ever made are celtic knots, George cross, Andrews cross and a white pen with a black cross so I'm not realy sure if I qualify to answer this one but here goes all my cute were done on an old very sharp hand miter saw which left corian right smooth and wood needed very little sanding but what bit I did do was done on a fine disk sander

Jim

Grand Master
A quick rub over my belt sander usually does the trick Terry, as David says, i don't touch the cuts made on a Celtic Cross, but i do rub down the inlays with a quick rub of sandpaper ... Usually with segmenting a few scratches does the trick ... :bwink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).