• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How do you sell your pens?

Maurice

This may seem a strange question but what do most of you do with the pens you make? I have a box full of completed pens and although I have given a number away, I would like to sell some just to recoup some of the money laid out buying kits and blanks. I don’t want to go down the craft fair route as I don’t have sufficient stock of items to make up a table or compete with other turners.
This is just a hobby but somebody else in the house has started to question how much I have spent on kits and tools so ideas would be appreciated even if only to help me have a quiet life.
Happy turning.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I use pens as a wood collection every new wood I get I make a pen first I have over 500 pens up to yet besides selling them all I do now is have cards printed and hand them out

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I don't sell mine but they often get sold.
Usually at events and dinners raising funds for Help for Heroes and often for very good money.
I also give many away, to raise awareness of what I do as a hobby in the hope of getting a commission or two which has happened.
I know of somebody who has a friendly jeweller that puts his in the window and makes a good mark-up but does sell them simply for the uniqueness of the item.
The British museum sell a sierra pen made by him for the grand sum of £100 each and they sell.
Look for a niche you never know where it may be perhaps an antique shop with bric a brac or furniture shop, sell some Corian pens in a kitchen fitters.
Knock a few doors and put a nice display stand with your wares on their counter you never know what may come from it.
Keep us informed of what you decide and how you get on, who knows you might surprise us and say your best sales are at the pub or fish and chip shop.

Maurice

Would you believe it? My wife and I went along to a small craft fair at the local garden centre today. They hold a function each year and the marquee does not get taken down for several days so the garden centre allows the Marie Currie cancer charity to use it for a small craft fair who charge £15 for a table. I asked the organiser about a table for next year and when she asked what I did I showed her an acrylic Sierra pen my wife had in her handbag.
Oh she said, a local lady saw me a short while ago and showed me a similar pen she makes and had asked about a table for next year. If I found any luck I am sure it would be bad luck. Never mind onwards and upwards.
Happy turning

Jim

Grand Master
Maurice, i sell many pens to the neighbours .. This started by my wife's friend sitting in the house when i had finished turning a pen, she bought it off me and before long i had many request from other neighbours and their families, so if you have friendly neighbours show them your work ... :thumbs:

Work is another area where word of mouth gets around, i get requests for pens for many occasions, mainly birthdays ... You have to get word out there, it may be small numbers over long periods but in time the long periods do shorten .. :thumbs:

Maurice

Thanks for the suggestions. I was advised by a friend at a garden centre that in order for items to sell for them was when added value was seen by the buyer. They only managed to sell Magnolia trees when they were in flower for example. Another surprising thing he said was that they only sold birdbaths as retirement gifts, nobody bought them for themselves. I might try making a pen from apple and using an apple I have turned with a hole to hold the pen. Just an idea.
Happy turning

mattyts

Registered
Heres some inspiration(Although from Porcelian?)
il_fullxfull.167682933.jpg

Old Corky

Hello Maurice, I am not sure about the UK, But here in Texas many of the small town have what they call "First Saturday Sales Days" or some version of the same thing. They are on held in a public area where you rent a 10 by 10 foot space for $15.00 to $30.00. We set up an awning and our tables and sell pen. I have taken in as low as $85 on a bad weather day, but as much as $600.00 (about 400 Pounds) last December before Christmas. And, I usually sell my pens from $15 to $25 each which is probably a little bit low, but the hobby pays for itself. And I enjoy meeting people and talking about making pens.

Bellville 3.JPG

Old Corky
Pine Island, Texas

Jim

Grand Master
That is a nice set up Corky, $600 wow, you must tell us your sales pitch ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).