• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stabilised Burr Elm Blanks

Jim

Grand Master
Did my first stabilising today, i have a number of worthless blanks collected over the years with the intentions of someday getting around to stabilising them.

The first pictures is of some other blanks still waiting to be stabilised but it gives you an idea of what they were like before the process began ..

burr_elm_pen_blanks.jpg

The bottom picture is of the stabilised blanks .. The colour you see them at is due to the dates written on them with a blue felt pen ..

stabilised_pen_blanks.jpg

Quite happy with the results, as there were no way the blanks would have held up if i had tried to turn them .. Some just crumbled in my hands ..

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
What did you stabilise them with Jim and how?
I have a number of interesting burrs that would benefit from treatment like that..

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
How about a WIP on this subject Jim I know sod all about the process or the products used :thumbs::thumbs:
Blank look great mate :thumbs::thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
I used the Cactus Juice that i bought from Paul Loseby and used the Hold Fast vacuum system Paul .. Though this was a slow process as the unit uses a venturi system allowing small amounts of air from the box which then keeps the compressor working full time .. I will be investing in a proper pump come the next time i do some stabilising Paul .. :thinks:

I will have a go at it on the next session George .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Looks good, it will be interesting to see one turned:thumbs:

Peter

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Another one here who'd be interested in a WIP thread, I've been looking round the tinterweb recently at this & casting so will be interested in how you progress with this young Jim. :up:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).