• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bandsaw jam.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A good reason NOT to cut plastic with a bandsaw and reminder to me why I used to use a router to cut my plastics.

P1090993.jpg

Making a cake turntable for my daughter I rough cut the 13mm thick copoly plastic on the bandsaw and wished I hadn't as it took the rest of the day to sort the mess out and get the blade free for replacement.

IMG-20150627-WA0009.jpg

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
Never tried it Brian and never will now I know it blunts blades quickly I always use a old hand saw for cuting plastic fascia and sofit
thanks for the post :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Yep a load of melted plastic set solid around the blade, bearings and guide block. a mess in the bottom of case.
Stupidest thing is I know better than attempt it with this plastic.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Having just replaced five bearings in my Big Band Saw I notice your bottom bearing especially on the LHS has given up the struggle. Around this area is a mongrel to keep clear I am fitting a fish tank pump to blow that area clean in my saw. Does the build up cutting plastic problem result in too much pressure I find thats my problem always in a hurry at the wrong time.Aluminium can do wonders as well.

Felt for you kneeling under a bandsaw ....not fun.

Peter.:thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Ohh messy I thought that it was something to spread on your bread when I saw the thread title Yummy Not

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
All sorted now Mark but I put this up as a warning of what can happen, I was totally unaware of what was going on underneath the material.
I walked away from it after I had cut the shape and wondered why the thing didn't wanna move next time time I switched it on.
Soon found out why init?

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
It's a bugger Brian. I used to cut a lot of Perspex on the bandsaw, been there got the tee shirt. The plastic fuses back if you're not careful. It's a lesson learnt.:sob:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
That's nasty Brian. I'm glad I didn't send you any or I'd have got the blame :funny:

I've never had a problem tbh and regularly cut polyprop which is copolymer without issue. It's only 3mm thick though not 12 so clearly much less heat build up. I'll watch mine carefully in future.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).