• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Hi - this is me

Davideccroft

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Hi, I'm not new to wood working but new to pen turning. I bought a lathe a few months ago and then discovered pen turning. I initially had some yew tree prunings I'd left to age for a few years and they looked the right size and really enjoyed it.
I've been playing with making jigs, to help with cutting, pressing etc and then found this forum when searching for help. It seems a lot of people are doing the same.
So far I've only am about 10 pens so a lot to learn.
I do the wood working as something totally not related to work and have 2 small kids so it won't be something I do all my working hours so I'll be a fair weather weekend pen turner making pens so far for family, friends and colleagues.
Today's job is unblocking and setting up a new band saw I bought from Axminster yesterday. My existing cutting methods have been too risky or not accurate enough.
My aim this month is to produce something for our local village show in early September. So a pen using local seasoned wood. I just saw a YouTube video on pen decals but I'm not quite ready to be that good but I do have some holly wood waiting for this when I get better.

Jim

Grand Master
Hi David, welcome to the forums, you will be doing those decals much quicker than you think, it may take you a few attempts but that is all part of learning .. :bwink:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Welcome David from Australia. Interesting introduction my thoughts as well the least dominating factor in my pens is profit.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
when I get better.
Better than what / who?
Welcome young David enjoy the banter, love to see some of your early work.
Don't be shy of showing it here then you can look back in the future and smile at how you have improved.
Although in my case I laugh at how I haven't.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Welcome David I'm new to the forum as well and you couldn't wish for a better bunch of guys any questions ask away you will get plenty of helpful answers

Davideccroft

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Wow, lots of replies. So here goes - I made a slimline pen today,using an off cut of oak. Took some photos this time, on the iPad. So you can seem my pen number 10. I took photos of making one I made from a piece of yew from my garden but didn't add and words yet.
You can see the one from today on the following link to the iPad journal. https://www.icloud.com/journal/#1;C...A0EnAOMA;92AB6430-2E24-4959-86B4-A6153A9C746A
You can click on the photos and zoom in to see I didn't get all the tooling scratches out with the first sand paper.
Constructive comments welcome. It's the first time I used a CA finish - the feel is so different to the previous ones where I just used wax.

Jim

Grand Master
That is a good effort David, you can call this your rustic pen as a start ... I like the tutorial you did while making the pen, you made it look fun ... I can see you are going to be up there with the best in no time ... :thumbs:

naxie

Registered
Welcome to the forum David! :waver:

I love the blog, great fun. :thumbs: I can certainly relate to the lack of "turning time" with two young children.

Is that the band saw that Axminster have had on special recently, the 250n?

Old Corky

Looking good and welcome, they even let an old Texan like me in. I did notice, but wasn't sure if it was lacking a little sanding or it was the grain pattern. Anyway, I go through 5 grits, 100, 240, 320 400 and 600 and it pretty well removes any tool marks. Did like the added personal design touches, looks

Old Corky
Pine Island, Texas

Davideccroft

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Welcome to the forum David! :waver:

I love the blog, great fun. :thumbs: I can certainly relate to the lack of "turning time" with two young children.

Is that the band saw that Axminster have had on special recently, the 250n?

Hi Ed - yes, it's from Axminster and it was in special. But I've still spent a lot of money there in the last few months. Luckily it's over 20 minutes away by car or I would go more often...

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).