• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first photo

mikewr

Apprentice Member
I have only been turning pens for a couple of months and I am quite impressed with the results. I have still a lot to learn to get to the standards you lot are at:waver:blue pen1.jpgred pen 2.jpg
I turned this fountain pen from acrylic called Blue Midnight and the other from Carmine.

mikewr

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
I have still a lot to learn to get to the standards you lot are at:waverI
mikewr

Oh no you don't young man, the standard of workmanship you have shown leaves me leagues behind.
Where are all these new people coming from?
We will soon be swamped with experts putting an end to our potential earnings.
Close the membership Jim, I can't have these young whippersnappers turning better products as starters.
Only joking Mike well done sir a fine example, shame you chose plastic but you will learn.

mikewr

Apprentice Member
Thanks guys

Thanks lad's it's a great encouragement coming from experts. By the way I ain't that young, I retired from work 2 years ago. I do have some wood pens that I have turned, such as oak, ash, cherry and some iroko. The problem I find is that unless you have a very distinctive grain it can look very bland. I am trying to get some exotic stuff (wood I mean):goesred:

Mike

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very well done Mike in fact exceptional results for a beginner you don't have to look to expensive exotic woods to get good grain pattern spalted beech, in fact any spalted wood laburnum, Mulberry, Fruit wood's, privet, Burr Elm to mention just a few not just trees bushes as well they are all worth a try I was surprised when I turned my first bit of Rhododendron a weed in the west country good luck on your woodturning journey and happy turning

Jim

Grand Master
Two good looking pens Mike, and the pen choice for the blanks is very clever .. The Blue Midnight does it for me ... :thumbs:

Don't believe a word George says, he is a master of pen turning but because he can't get near a lathe he now thinks he is a beginner ... :wink:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Very nice ...hopefully one day I will be able to turn out pens as good as yours,Mike.:up:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Have you tried 'lignaterrae' he is new to our forum and provides exotic wood pen blanks. I have just ordered some and will keep you posted.

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks I will be very interested in some exotics I thought about trying Timberbits for some Aussie stuff.

Mike, you can get your exotic timber here in the UK, see Dave's post in the Buy and Sell forum he has some quality exotics for sale ... :thumbs:

mikewr

Apprentice Member
Thanks Jim I should have logged in first but I just this minute sent an order of to Australia. I have had a look and down loaded Dave's PDF and I shall be sending him an email very soon.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).