• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Terry - third attempt. Getting closer?

Jim

Grand Master
Higgins, by George he has got it!! :thumbs:

You may need to look that quote up ... :whistling:

Looks much better David .. And looks like a yacht ... :kiss:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
So close but still a bit leafy looking David.
How about and how hard, putting a spine through it as a mast?
I certainly admire your doggedness of effort.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
It can be made out to be a yacht but at 1st glance it could be a plucker. :winking:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I agree with what George says and it'll be very close!!!!

George has been particularly helpful with this, but in this instance I'm going to have to let you down, guys. I thought you might enjoy the 'toolpath map' of the inlay hollowing. Bear in mind that the tool is 0.8mm in diameter, yet the scale of the inlay makes it look large and clumsy:

Picture1.jpg

That might impress upon you just how limited I am by the scale of these inlays - the max width is 12.4mm (dictated by the diameter of the pen barrel) and the smallest cut width I can make is just about 1mm (dictated by the end mill). Adding a mast, for instance, would require that I cut a path approx 0.5mm wide (too thin!) and fill it with a sliver of inlay about 0.5mm by about 25mm by about 7.5mm deep! Just not possible without better tooling, I'm afraid!

Jim

Grand Master
How about you make him a Dinghy David ... He wont notice as he is excited about his new lathe coming ... :whistling:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Of course young David I was forgetting you are not engraving it on but embedding it in DOH!!!
So sorry young man, I think one could do it with engraving how about that Terry make your blanks and get them engraved?

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Of course young David I was forgetting you are not engraving it on but embedding it in DOH!!!
So sorry young man, I think one could do it with engraving how about that Terry make your blanks and get them engraved?

Unfortunately George they are not for me. I was asked by the Principal Engineer of Babcock Marine in Plymouth if I could do a pen with an inlay in. He wants this pen to take pride on his boat. I told him that I didn't have the equipment to do that but I knew a person who might be able to help!!!!!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).