• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

first cast attempt, gone wrong??

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
First ever cast so mistakes happen. Doing a red, white and blue mix. The red was about right, white close, the blue behind, so started to pour. Ok for about half fill then red came out in big gloop. Poured in the white and blue and tried a quick drag though with a mixing stick.

Will have to wait for reveal tomorrow, but think i'll have a big block of red in middle.

Waited a couple of mins too long. But you never know might be ok. As its my first wont be too hard on myself. Will post pics of outcome in due course.:fingers:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
From time to time some of the best pours have been caused rather than contrived looking also to the finished result, you had a go could be a winner.

Peter.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
Well about two hours since cast. Its going hard and its shrunk. The remnants in the pots are sticky but they ain't gone off. Very interesting Mr Bond.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

You can see a touch of red under all the blue and white. It is so tempting to de mould it, :nonono:

but I will leave it till Mon evening.

Jim

Grand Master
John, i have found in the past that Red is always the first to go off when using PR .. :thinks:

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
John, i have found in the past that Red is always the first to go off when using PR .. :thinks:

Yep, red first then white then blue.

Mmm! looking at the light spectrum red and blue are either end, so maybe next time mixing blues first may be a way forward.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I had the same problem when I did my red/white/Blue blank but I did mine in a tube and it turned out like this so wait until you try it on a pen first before calling it a failure.

Attachments

• DSCF4600.JPG
    DSCF4600.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 76

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
It's an unknown entity, hence the question marks in the title, the proof will be in the turning.

In the mean time here are shots of the demoulded item

IMG_1774.JPG

IMG_1778.JPG

I made a former from Corian for a Vinamold mold. The casting is 'wet' making me think that during the exothermic reaction it may have caused a thin layer of Vinamold to melt, the wet layer seems a bit oily. I will leave it to dry and see if there any negative effects to the mold and cast.

Like Derek says its not a failure or success till I cut and turn it. I will post pics either way.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
It's still 'wet' tonight, and I can lightly scratch the bottom surface. I think this one will have to be put on one side for a while to fully go off.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).