• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Rhododendron

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Has anyone ever turned rhododendron as i have been offered a large bush that has been chopped up

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Alex,

No idea! I have a lump of it that is very dry but I havent got round to turning it. It is used as a turning material, I think that the scarcity of it as a dried material has meant that it is not featured prominently in any forum or magazine. I think you'll get a high wastage on it, as a shrub it is likely to move in life, split in death! If you've got room to dry the larger pieces, go for it. PM me your ad and I'll cut a blank of the stuff I've got and you can make a decision, lathe or firewood!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have turned rhododendron and it turns very well and it takes a good finish you can get some with quite a good bit of figuring on it smaller branches are very bland but then so are most woods it is in my book worth having a go even if only for the experience I will see if I still have a pen made from it if si I will post it latter
It actually grows like a weed in the west country I have seen it all along the side of the railway lines a mate of mine visits Sandringham grounds quite often and brings loads of it home he loves turning it
Go for it Alex and find out for yourself if you dont like it then you can keep yourself warm with it

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The only one I can find Alex is my workshop pencil which isn't a very good example but I hope it helps you make up your mind

DSCF1273 (2).JPGDSCF1274 (2).JPG

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Alex,

Woodys on the case since I went into my workshop and found the stuff that I have. For pens, I'd sling it, this is from a reasonably big piece about seven inch diameter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).