• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Basic question

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Probably a very basic question. The mica powders that we referred to in my post earlier do you add these by themselves or do you need to add a coloured pigment first or are they alright by themselves without leaving the resin translucent

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
it depends on the effect that you are after- if you want a pure gold blank then you could just add a gold coloured powder, if you wanted a gold and black blank then you could start with the gold resin then tip a small amount out into a separate cup and add some black dye or black powder, then pour the two into your mold swirling as you go.

the interference powders or sometimes called magic blue, magic gold etc are best added to another powder to to increase the iridescent effect of the resin. these powders tend to look white with just a hint of colour until you add them to liquid then you get the magic colour shifting effect.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you George. Looks like some experimenting is on the cards

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Thank you mark I already have taken notes from the small amount that I have already made for future reference. I have even found a colour mixing chart which tells me how much of each colour is needed to produce another, I used it to get the camo blanks to the required colours

THIS is the site. from just 5 basic colours and using the chart I can mix any I want The basic colours I have are Blue, Red, Yellow, Black and White

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
THanks Derek grateful for the chart I knew you had a handle on it when you asked the question have continued success .

Peterr.:fingers:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).