• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Segmented Cocobolo and Bocote Baron Pen

Jim

Grand Master
Segmented Cocobolo and Bocote Baron Pen with chrome accents ...

baron.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
I made this pen about 16 months ago and sold it to a young lady who works with the wife, well the wife brought it home last week showing me how the wood had gone all pale. Looking at it i believe it to be the oil from the Cocobolo wood effecting the CA finish.

I will add a picture later so you can see what i mean. It looks as thou i will have to find a way to dismantle the pen and take off the finish and and start again ... :goesred:

Jim

Grand Master
I've had a walnut Ligero do that to me, Jim. Didn't think walnut was that oily? I put it down to water under the CA.

:thinks:

David, this could be water, i don't know for sure as i am going off what i have read when some people have used CA and Cocobolo? I will post a picture of it when i am home ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
No Mark, but will look at doing something different the next time for sure. :thinks:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
To knock them apart as both the final and nib end was the same size I couldn't use my transfer punches, I used the largest Pin punch that would fit that I could put in on an angle and tapped on one side of the insert then the other working my way around the insert.
It came out fairly easily. :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
Forgot all about this until i had to move it out of the way today ... So this is the problem i have with the wood ...:down:

faded_cocobolo.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Will have to find out how to dissemble the pen and start again with the coatings ... :down:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Same way I did the Roman Harvest 3 or 4 times.
Transfer punches, Knock the clip and finial ends out first then come back with the next size up and take the threaded ends out.
Saw that on another forum, life saver for the Roman Harvest or it would have been in the bin.
Use the largest size you can get to fit evry time, needs a goodly belt with a hammer but it does shift em.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Same way I did the Roman Harvest 3 or 4 times.
Transfer punches, Knock the clip and finial ends out first then come back with the next size up and take the threaded ends out.
Saw that on another forum, life saver for the Roman Harvest or it would have been in the bin.
Use the largest size you can get to fit evry time, needs a goodly belt with a hammer but it does shift em.

That is what I do.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).