• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My first attempts with acrylics

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
These are my first acrylic turnings. The Polaris I did a couple of days ago ...I know its far too fat and a bit chisel shy ..but in my own defence it was my first Polaris and I had never seen a Polaris, so didn't know what one should look like. The Sierra I did today taking note of what Neil had said about keeping a small gentle curve rather than a flat barrel shape. Slagging off my master pieces is allowed and will be tolerated.:sob:

Attachments

• P1040919.JPG
    P1040919.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 34

Jim

Grand Master
I like the pens Ed, i have never made a Polaris so i will not comment on the shape other than saying it looks in situ of the kit to me ... :bwink: I also agree with the comment that Neil said regarding the shape of the Sierra pen ... :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
As a starter Ed the polaris kit is one of those kits you love or hate and most people hate it and it isnt an easy kit to get right but that's nothing to do with your workmanship both are well turned and finished the polaris could have done with being a bit thinner at the top end about 1/3rd of the way in and the sierra could have been a bit fatter in the middle but that is only a matter of personal taste and what is pleasing to your eye as the creator that said bloody well done mate

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Thanks for the replies chaps, your comments are noted . I have ordered a load of acrylics from Timber Bits so should have plenty to practice on to get it right.:thumbs:

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Ed, The Polaris pen is a "marmite" pen. They look good and can agree with woody.

For your first attempt they are very good and the finish looks nice and clean.

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I hope my first acrylics look that good, I'm waiting on some blanks coming with my other stuff from TB. (Driving me mad waiting the extra but I'm too tight to pay dutys lol)

I have to say I don't like the Polaris, but the execution looks darned good to me if you've never seen one you got the spirit of it spot on to me. Marmite indeed ! (Yum)

The Sierra I like as well.

What are the blanks and where did you get them?

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I hope my first acrylics look that good, I'm waiting on some blanks coming with my other stuff from TB. (Driving me mad waiting the extra but I'm too tight to pay dutys lol)

I have to say I don't like the Polaris, but the execution looks darned good to me if you've never seen one you got the spirit of it spot on to me. Marmite indeed ! (Yum)

The Sierra I like as well.

What are the blanks and where did you get them?

Thanks for the encouraging comments . I am also waiting for an order from TB which includes a fair amount of their acrylic blanks ..they seem a good buy. The blank that I used for the Polaris and Sierra was an impulse buy from Axminster Tools and is from their Acrylic Mesh range ,colour Chocolate, the photo doesn't do it justice, as in daylight it shimmers with golden flecks ...if you know what I mean .

Regards Ed

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Ed I rarely comment on plastic pens and when I do I usually don't have anything nice to say about them, that is my specific reason for trying not to comment on them
However I do want to give you some encouragement, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder and my perception is: It doesn't matter how thin or fat you make it or what shape you choose to make it.
If it is how you want it to look then you have achieved your objective, I have seen some downright awful materials, colours and shapes on pens but others love them so we are all different.
For me these pens don't fall into that category, I am looking at the fit and finish. If you can get the sizing right at the bushes you will have a well fitting pen regardless of what is between that, if you can avoid trackmarks and achieve a smooth finish you will have a nice looking pen that feels good to hold whether it shines or not is up to the creator.
You have achieved these results admirably. I like Marmite but I don't favour the Polaris, I agree with Neil's comments that it looks like something to be inserted where the sun don't shine.
I think you have done a fine job on these pens and should keep heart there is nothing wrong with a fat pen.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I thank you all for your encouraging comments ...It makes me want to go and make some more pens !!!

Regards

Ed.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Polaris - the marmite pen, you love it or hate it. OK so lets have the big marmite hunt, who likes the Polaris, where is this miserable dishevelled individual bereft of taste, hiding behind salvaged rolls of 1970s, brown woodchip wallpaper. Shed your tank top and reveal yourself you woeful individual. I am reminded of one of John Ruskins sayings:"Quality is never an accident. It is always the result of intelligent effort". Sadly there was no intelligenece utilised when this pen fell off the drawing board, and I use that phrase deliberately!

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Polaris - the marmite pen, you love it or hate it. OK so lets have the big marmite hunt, who likes the Polaris, where is this miserable dishevelled individual bereft of taste, hiding behind salvaged rolls of 1970s, brown woodchip wallpaper. Shed your tank top and reveal yourself you woeful individual. I am reminded of one of John Ruskins sayings:"Quality is never an accident. It is always the result of intelligent effort". Sadly there was no intelligenece utilised when this pen fell off the drawing board, and I use that phrase deliberately!

Oh dear ...and I've bought 20 + kits:sob:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).