• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Large engineers file

Barry

Graduate Member
First Name
Barry
Found this Large engineers file in Den not needed now,
So ground it shaped it polished it put a handle on it now to test it

Attachments

• DSCF1476.jpg
    DSCF1476.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 207

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You'll get a lot of flack for doing that But I have also done it many times and never had a problem yet.
Good luck init?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A lot of turners will tell you how dangerous it is to do that but most of us old turners grew up on these type of tools the experts will tell you there is a danger of them shattering but I have never had that happen to me and I dont know of anyone who has had it happen to them even those who say it can happen I bet they are just repeating what someone else told them personally I don't believe it it seems like one of those stories that a demonstrator would say to promote his company's tools you enjoy your new tool Barry and it will probably last you a lifetime

GeordieB

Registered
First Name
george
I was told as a apprentice never to hit two hammers together cos they can chip/shatter I have ignored this for 20 years and never had 1 shatter or chip enjoy your new tool Barry :thumbs:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
I doubt that any experienced turner would have any problem using a file as a turning tool, but there are reasons that it is actively discouraged.
File scrappers were common in schools until the early eighties. They were used a lot due to poor finances and teachers with no real experience of turning.
There was an incident involving a kid at a school, who hit the wood before the tool rest. The gap between the tool rest and the wood was vast, and the tool shattered causing multiple injuries.
Modified tools were immediately banned!
Old files can conceal micro fractures in the steel, usually by kids hitting them together etc, which they have a tendency to do all the time!
I've had to take several modern hammers out of circulation for chipping, after they have been used on the original 1940's anvil in our school.

Work hardening seems a difficult process to explain to both teachers and students these days.

The old carving knife I use as a thin parting tool is brilliant, but I can't use it in school.

I'm sure this new tool will give you many years of service.

Last edited:

Jim

Grand Master
If it works then why not .. :thumbs:

Though i can fully understand why they are banned in schools or work places ..

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
I am not going into the yes or no argument with this but all I will say is the tool was not designed as a scraper therefore I would not use it as such. Whether that is right or wrong I don't care.

If it works for you and you are happy to use it go for it, well done on making it all the same.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
They soften easily ground to remove the teeth then tempered make a fine chisel I have one that was used commercially excellent turning tool. I watched at a demo an expert so even under heavily controlled manufacture anything is possible pro demonstrating direct and from P&N here in Australia a high quality tool it snapped clean. I believe Neil has a point being covered in OH&S regs does that thanks Neil. Use yours Barry tell us how it responds over time keeping the tool rest up to the timber to be sure to be sure mate.

Peter.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
the main thing with making tools from things like files is if you are happy to accept the possible risk that using them could involve, if you are then enjoy using it.
Accidents happen even when using a tool for the purpose it was designed for

image.jpg

Me personally, whilst happy to make many tools, as I have, I would draw the line at tools that could be used on a piece of timber spinning at up to 3500 RPM (maximum speed on my lathe) as I don't think my safety is worth the risk for the £15-20 I'd be saving, but as I've already said it up to each individual to access what they think the risk is worth.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
I have one I made 40 years ago and it's fine. I don't see any problem in the hands of experienced workers and that applies to any woodwork.
The only caveat I would add is that it should be an old, thick file and not one of the modern Chiwanese copies which I've found variable in quality when used for the purpose they were made.
Looking at the pic Doug posted, it appears to be one of the really cheap turning tools around, I have a couple in the bottom of a drawer which are so poor I use them for opening paint tins, I'd trust a file way before those and what about the thin carbide tips some use for turning? Carbide is brittle and theoretically in the wrong hands on hard material? :nooidea:

I agree with Neils' post and in an education environment where the "little monkeys" abuse everything it makes sense to err on the safe side.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).