• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sweating casts

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
I previuosly mentioned on my first two casts, that they were sticky, and I also noted the Vinamold cast was very wet, oily like. I wondered if it was the Vinamold especially when my third cast was the same. However on my fourth cast I used Mica powders

The Colour Shack® Glamour Pearl Mica Powder "Metallics Collection" ARTS & CRAFTS | eBay

and there is little sweat or oilyness on the cast or the mold. The first three casts all used marble powder and pigments as recommended by the resin supplier. These pigments I assume and I will check are acrylic (paint not powder), and it may be the oils in these that are being exuded during the curing, I wonder.

I know there are no pics, they will follow in due course, as will a pic of a little key ring pen I clothed in a blank from my second cast.

Its raining heavy at this time and I am on standby for work calling, only another 3 hours and 14 minutes then I can stand down,:fingers: till tommorrow.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
The instructions on the casting resin I have says to put celluloid sheet on top of your cast resin while it set to prevent the oily stickiness.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
The instructions on the casting resin I have says to put celluloid sheet on top of your cast resin while it set to prevent the oily stickiness.

Bill, thats the strange thing, the top is not the problem that is reasonably dry and sticky free.

Jim

Grand Master
I have never had this issue John, but it does look like it may be coming from the marble powder if you have success with the mica's .. I like the look of the 4th cast btw .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
John you answered my query about your key ring pen. I have bought cast blanks that have felt wet for a year having spent so much on them at times I persevered I refer to the latest one it was strips of Pau Shell I feared for its stability waited that year and it turned out great.

Peter.:fingers:

Attachments

• DSCF0017.JPG
    DSCF0017.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 50

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
this one was made in Australia when I rang the maker he said also that it can be only skin deep any stickiness i preferred to be sure so I waited the next lot I bought were quite dry.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
Interesting, its not as unusual as I thought. Guys you are right when cut and turned no issues. Just appears to be on the original cast surface.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
John you answered my query about your key ring pen. I have bought cast blanks that have felt wet for a year having spent so much on them at times I persevered I refer to the latest one it was strips of Pau Shell I feared for its stability waited that year and it turned out great.

That's a lovely blank and pen. I like the display as well. It all works together.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
THanks John the guy used to have a big business in Sydney at the Rocks adjacent to in the shadow of the Sydney Harbor Bridge he came to our area at a Hand Made Show and was unloading some of these blanks following domestic upheaval etc it is a beaut blank thanks for the kind words.

Peter.:fingers::fingers:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).