• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Another mod for sanding

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
When I made my sanding jig I always realised that there could be some side movement if my hand moved when sanding and this was picked up by Peter (penpal) and so I said I was going to look into it. I am going to show some photos of my idea which is basically a Vee block. It is a piece of 25mm angle welded onto a piece of flat bar. The flat bar can be drilled and fastened to not only my budget sander platform but any sander with a platform bought from a shop. You will have to use your imagination slightly and the vee block is too long as it only needs to be about 30 odd millimetres/ It can hold round blanks and square blanks firmly and if set up perfectly in line to the disc and 90 deg to the platform as I see it then it should be idiot proof for getting perfect ends on blanks.
Your comments please!!!

Attachments

• 009 (278x370).jpg
    009 (278x370).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 010 (278x370).jpg
    010 (278x370).jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 011 (278x370).jpg
    011 (278x370).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 012 (278x370).jpg
    012 (278x370).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 108
  • 013 (278x370).jpg
    013 (278x370).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 109

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Terry,

I admire the construcyion of the things you make but for me I use a square block of exceeding hard wood about 4 inches or so long with an inserted at right angle to a 90 degree guide to the sanding disk with sleeves for other than Slimlines blanks it is the only way I can properly square my uneven blanks uneven two reasons 1. blanks not always square cut. 2. I drill on my dedicated drill press quickly locating the blanks by eye in the vice (99 times out of a hundred real close).

If I show a pic it may be more explicit.

Kind regards Peter.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Terry,

I admire the construcyion of the things you make but for me I use a square block of exceeding hard wood about 4 inches or so long with an inserted at right angle to a 90 degree guide to the sanding disk with sleeves for other than Slimlines blanks it is the only way I can properly square my uneven blanks uneven two reasons 1. blanks not always square cut. 2. I drill on my dedicated drill press quickly locating the blanks by eye in the vice (99 times out of a hundred real close).

If I show a pic it may be more explicit.

Kind regards Peter.

Yes please do Peter but my Vee block is based on what skilled fitters and turners use in their machine shops and to be honest I can't see it failing as it has to look at only 2 sides for a square blank and is basically designed for holding round blanks. Proof is in the pudding or so they say!!!!!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hey man,

No question in a perfect world what you say is 100% correct however I explained my reasons carefully this method I use is not to square the ends per se from square and round even blanks but finishing parrallel all round before reaming after drilling, glueing, prior to turning. As I already said your ideas are commendable pointing out my take as it affects me.

Please find a few pics of prepared blanks my sanding set up for finish squaring to the hole drilled, the block of wood with the cut off mandrel right angles all round, understand my blanks are cut purely for grain mostly at right angle to the grain these days.

Terry also know it would be very easy for me to give one line replies nod my head perhaps my two fingers dont describe on the computer what I try to share. Thinking of becoming more of an observer every day mate.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred:

Attachments

• DSCF0001-138.JPG
    DSCF0001-138.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF0004-193.JPG
    DSCF0004-193.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF0009-137.JPG
    DSCF0009-137.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 15

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
I appreciate what you are saying Peter and looking at your photos I can see where you are coming from and yes I do take it all on board believe me. I always think there is more than one way to achieve an objective and that is why I asked for comments. No offence meant!!!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Thanks Terry. I will have some extra time today for pics of power set ups I buy banks of these devices and besides the total of installed points they allow continuous quick access for repeat operations. I must stress as a Sparky I see and have had to correct thousands of unbelievable problems with the use of Electricity even for years double adaptors sold that reversed the polarity in two way top and bottom adapters. These days because of the proliferation of OH and S Laws etc I refuse to do work in others Shops cause when caught for illegal and unsafe practices after my visits and help it has come back to me but Peter said it was OK or he did it. I must be the most responsible bloke I know everything that goes wrong is my fault. So I say this and that is what I do.:goesred:

Kind regards Peter.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
The only problem I see with using that setup to square the end of blanks, is that it squares it to the sides of the blank. That is fine if the blank is drilled absolutely straight down through the center of the blank. I can rarely achieve that, so I need to have a rod that runs through the tube to keep it square to the tube. I use the technique developed by Mike on the IAP board.

"I use a bowl face plate. I have lots of 5" velcro attached sanding disks of every conceivable grit and an entire box of 100 grit. I cut a 5+" circle of plywood on my band saw and attached the face plate to the circle. Then I turned it to the correct 5" on the lathe. Then I went to Home Depot and bought some heavy duty velcro and covered the entire face of my new disk with the hook part. This gives me a 5" disk sander. I use the outer edges to get the bulk of my sanding done all the way to the tube. Then I use my jacobs chuck in the tailstock and my Harbor Freight center punch set and find the right one to fit the tube, mount it in the chuck, mark 4 marks with a pencil on the end of the blank, slip it onto the center punch and clean it up on the center of the sanding disk. This was not my idea I just borrowed it from someone else here. I also use this 5" sanding disk to do lots of other things. Very handy and since my dust collector is already right on the lathe I don't have to move things around. It also works great to remove CA from my fingers as I am segmenting"

By mounting a punch in a jacob's chuck in the tailstock and the sanding disk on the faceplate, then mounting the blank on the punch, you can guarantee that the resulting face is square to the tube, not to the sides of the blank if the hole is not drilled perfectly straight. You can just hold the blank in your hand and slide it up the punch until it lightly contacts the spinning disk and apply just as much pressure as you need to square the blank.

Sharon

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).