• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Plank storage

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Im fortunate the my MiL lets me store my kiln dried timber in her garage, unfortunately it had got a little out of hand so I needed to come up with a free standing wood storage system that would allow easy access to the planks.

I couldn't fix anything to the walls as they are only single skin & not the best laid bricks so I came up with the idea of a free standing unit based on an A frame, I started by cutting housing joints at 25 degrees

I then tried a dry fit to see how things looked

Next I planed up some struts at 25 degrees that the timber would rest on

This the finished unit ready to be loaded up

Loaded & fortunately there is still room for more timber :banana:

Neil Lawton

Longlocks
Fellow
First Name
Neil
Great job Doug.
I'm just trying to think if I know any one who does have a garage, who has no interest in wood, and doesn't have a log burner!!:whistling::funny::funny::funny:

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Now there's an idea Doug!

I'll get to work persuading my 88 year old MIL that she's too old to drive now and should sell her car. :ciggrin:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Dunno why the first photo has suddenly come up "deleted" it's still in my photo bucket, just for clarity

IMG_1342_zps9ea03fee.jpg

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
just short of some castors to move the wood to the workstation

If I'm honest Tony having had a close call with wood on mobile racking, I wouldn't go down that route again, that's not to say I don't like the idea of mobile bases my 3 big machines are all on casters.
It surprising how much weight can be on a rack like this, those planks soon add up to a few hundred KGs & if that weight isn't distributed evenly they can tip quite easily particularly when trying to move it.
I made this to be accessible from the one end, the open frame allows me to see exactly what's on there so there is really no reason that I need it to be mobile.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Doug coincidently yesterday in Bunnings (read filthy huge Warehouse type Hardware store they sell knock together steel substantial to huge units flat packed put together in hammertone in half an hour) at this stage I have the shipping container same size shed adjoining and seven other sheds run out of puff and the need for. Emptying some of the hoard as we speak. That flat pack Empire of incredible size called Ikea has just finished their new Castle and in the next while 180 loaded semi trailers will decend on it with 9780 different reasons why I must go there. The draw for me is real cheap meals had one at Costco yesterday their hot dog is a treat with unlimited drink at 2.50 aussie pesos. Went to Masters 50% Woolworths next door and bought some Minwax used it the first time today. It as they say caramel colours as it coats (my desire) some out of this world wild grain, it is so successful I will use it on Burl Pen rests from now on.

Your rack is it some kind of Pine mate our common use pine is Radiata grown all around us used for trusses etc.

Peter.:fingers:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).