• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Etching Brass Bullet Pen

Firefrode

Here is the process I use for producing my Brass Etched pens:-

SALT WATER ETCHING TECHNIQUE

Preparing the brass bullet case :-

Firstly select your brass cases and clean thoroughly removing all gun shot residue. I wash first in hot soapy water with brisk agitation then drop them into pickling vinegar.
I use a sharpie to apply the design on the brass and this acts as the Acid resist stopping that part of the brass from being etched. (Other resists I have used successfully are – Nail Varnish, Acrylic paint, Cello tape, Vinyl tape etc)

You are now ready to start.bullet paint.JPG
Equipment you will need :-

Plastic container 4” x 2” x2”
copper wire one red – one blacketchpick.jpg
alligator clips
12v battery
water and salt
copper blank
patterned piece

The process:-
Take a plastic container and fill ~1/4 of it with salt
Fill the container with water ( I use warm water as it helps the salt dissolve quicker – some salt still lies on bottom of container but that’s ok)
I use a 12v motorcycle battery that applies a voltage to my alligator clips…
You will need an anode and a cathode
* anode is the piece you will be etching (Brass Bullet) Red positive connection
* cathode is the piece scrap copper you will hang in the water to collect all the copper ions. Black negative connection

Hang your piece to be etched and your blank piece of copper from the side of the plastic container using copper wire.etchlayout.JPG
Attach the red alligator clip to the copper wire that is hanging the anode (*piece you want the etched pattern on)
Attach the black alligator clip to the copper wire that is hanging the cathode (*piece to collect the copper ions)

Plug in your clips to the battery ( DON NOT LET THE PIECES TOUCH AS YOU WILL GET SPARKS)
You will notice bubbles coming off the copper piece and the water will start to discolour – this is good.

Etching copper/brass at this voltage takes about 1hour and makes a nice clean deep etch!!! No Chemicals No Mess….and you can reuse the etch over and over!!!!

Happy Etching!

My first attempt straight from salt solutionbullet.JPG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Great task Fred easily managed and an exciting prospect mate as you promised now delivered and grateful I can see what made your previous pens so exciting, thanks for sharing.

Peter.:fingers::fingers::fingers:

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
Thanks Fred, that is very precise, I'll be having a go at that for sure :thumbs:

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
i wonder if it would work with ali sheet instead of copper. Also I would need to brush up on my drawing skill which are next to a 3 year olds:funny:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
The results belie the simplicity of the process, fantastic work, thanks for sharing :claps:

Firefrode

Yes you can use this on Brass Copper Alluminium with no probs - there may be fumes but if done in well vented area will be safe. Also products left are safe too as only salt water used.
Look forward to seeing result.
Happy etching

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Interesting, very interesting :thinks:
Does this process give off any fumes?
I assume good ventilation is essential

Very essential, using salt produces chlorine gas so make sure you do it outside or with great ventilation.

Peter

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Thanks for posting Fred, I'll have a go at that. I've used a similar process (not salt) to clean corrosion from old tools.

Does the cathode have to be copper or would say brass work?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for posting Fred, I'll have a go at that. I've used a similar process (not salt) to clean corrosion from old tools.

Does the cathode have to be copper or would say brass work?

Copper is the base for most if not all electroplating Bob use battery acid instead of salt, lower the voltage and plate away to your hearts content.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).