• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Stabilising Resin, Any updates?

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
There has been several postings about Cactus juice and Stick fast stabilising resins, as well as a possibility of Dan stocking similar lines. Is there any new information, any new supply source or any alternative options on stabilising, before summer becomes a fading memory.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I know of one in the state that knows he can ship it to the UK for a sensible price I have to get the name again

SPSlick

Apprentice Member
First Name
Mick
I've been using Ronseal Wood Hardener with exceptional results. I decant some into a small spice bottle then dip each blank for about ten seconds. It's turned some very difficult spalted woods very solid. I was having a 50% failure rate but no failures at all since using this.

paulm

grave manibus faciendum
Registered
First Name
Paul
I've only used Stick Fast so can't comment on other stuff although the Ronseal wood hardener sounds good

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I'd be interest in some stabilising resin if it was cheaper than Turners Retreat, though I'll have to look out for some Ronseal in the meantime.

ni9eofse7en

Registered
First Name
John
I've been using Ronseal Wood Hardener with exceptional results. I decant some into a small spice bottle then dip each blank for about ten seconds. It's turned some very difficult spalted woods very solid. I was having a 50% failure rate but no failures at all since using this.

I had thought about this product having used it many years ago on rotting windows. It worked back then till MIL could afford new windows. Was not sure if anyone had tried it, now worth a go. Just been to Toolstation this morning already, ah well.

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
John as I understand it Ronseal is majority Acetone so don't put it under vacuum as it could go BOOM Just what I've read on the IAP

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I've tried it under vacuum it was ok but the results for me were poor
Don't try the VAC thing if you have heard its dodgie there is a company
Called ultraseal that do resin but to get it at a good price you need to buy
A larger amount and it needs a business address for delivery they are in Slough.

Jim

Grand Master
There has been several postings about Cactus juice and Stick fast stabilising resins, as well as a possibility of Dan stocking similar lines. Is there any new information, any new supply source or any alternative options on stabilising, before summer becomes a fading memory.

Same old as far as i am aware of John .. :sob:

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
cactus juice or stickfast is expensive but it is brilliant stuff, the best result I had so far was nearly a 3x the original starting weight increase!!!

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
Thats massive mate your results speak for themselves on a cost per blank is it economic?

Peter.:fingers:

that was an exceptional piece of punky spalted burr horse chestnut, the average is about double or slightly less but it depends on the wood.

is it economical? NO not for me, its a luxury and a bit of enjoyment.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).