• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Drum Sander

retreatjohn

Spent the last few days making a drum sander driven by my Record lathe, I turned the drum from MDF discs, the shaft is half inch studding running through 2 bearings bought from ebay for 99p each, the main body is 1'' MDF, I have attached the abrasive with double sided tape but am going to change this to Velcro. The extraction hood is fronted by a perspex flap rescued from an old fridge.
Should be a big help with segmented work.
2013-08-12 18.48.24.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
John, i was looking tonight on ebay for a second hand drum sander, then ended up on youtube looking at home made ones for the exact reason that you mention .. Segmenting ... :bwink:

Thanks for adding ... :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
John,

Great idea indeed well thought out. I have an aversion to large grit surfaces on a lathe bed if I made one it would be using a pulley and separate motor but I have dedicated separate from preference anyway that enables instant access.::goesred:

Thankyou indeed for sharing this with us.

Kind regards Peter.

Jed Baxter

Registered
I like how simple you make this sound John but every time i try to copy someones idea it looks like a pile of crap. :rolling:

retreatjohn

Jed, look at the link, I found it easy to follow and simplify. I did'nt fit he pressure bearing wheels instead I use 1 inch MDF for the slide and find that this lies flat.
Give it a go. John

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).