• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Potatoes

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Accountant been on the phone telling me I cant claim for food whilst away at Shows. Me tells accountant I don't but bloody well think I should as the amount of Indians I have had is costing me an arm and a leg.Accountant asks me why I have put in sainsburys tickets for the total of around 20Kgs of potatoes in the last year.

Am I alone or does anyone else use potatoes whilst making pens?

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I have heard mention of usinf spuds but I have never used anything like that never had a need to

Pete B

Registered
No but i wish i made as many as you to be able to !
I am claiming for some £14.99 argos inline skates bought Saturday though.
I need three of the wheels for a steady and four replacement ones from fleabay were £29 the cheapest.
I'm going to put a photo on the receipt though just in case.

Pete

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Love the big tubers remark Rowdy, my sympathy Neil I would rephrase the spuds as a more acceptable classification bit like claiming on contraceptives or rubber gloves to apply CA finishes to remove any misconceptions.:goesred:

When I had a business my book singular had one page credit (money in) opposite page outgoing (expenditure) survived two visits from the taxation authorities. I confess to calling watchdog protection (dog food), rodent protection (cat food), cleaning supplies ( lunch up the road) at least once.

Kind regards Peter.:goesred::goesred:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
You can use dental wax instead now I have just got to convince my dentist ( my dad) to give it to me

MikeD

Registered
I'm not sure if your accountant is correct. Have a look at subsistence allowances on the HMRC website. You should be able to claim for travel costs to the venue, accommodation and meals as long as they are directly associated with your business activities. You do not need to be registered as a Ltd company to claim this

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
I have to agree with MikeD, not essential to be ltd to claim it ( it is easier if you were, but all the extra hassle ). Just don't take the mickey with the amount claimed per day. I've claimed a meal allowance for years.

I would challenge your accountant if it were me, call another one nearby and ask them, if you're happy to deal with one remotely ( very easy ) then I can recommend a red hot one in Leicestershire.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
I have to agree with MikeD, not essential to be ltd to claim it ( it is easier if you were, but all the extra hassle ). Just don't take the mickey with the amount claimed per day. I've claimed a meal allowance for years.

I would challenge your accountant if it were me, call another one nearby and ask them, if you're happy to deal with one remotely ( very easy ) then I can recommend a red hot one in Leicestershire.

Phil,

Do you, by any chance, happen to be an accountant who lives in Leicestershire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).