• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bandsaw advice required

Jim

Grand Master
I started out with one of those when i first started Phill, i soon updated to a bigger one ... I would look out for a used one for a similar price that is much bigger ... It will save you doing it at a later date .. :bwink:

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
I'm with Jim. I have an old Record 3" table top bandsaw which darn near put me off bandsaws for life. Then I bought the BS300E and wow! Look for something bigger, Phil.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole in the machine market you only get what you pay for I have nothing against Fox I had one of there big saw benches and it was perfect I would aim higher if You can afford it always buy bigger than what you need today because your demands for it will grow tomorrow especialy if someone gives you a 6" thick log and you cant cut it up how frustrating sorry

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Go for second hand Phill with at least 6in depth of cut, 8in if you can. Axminster do one in there hobby series that cuts 8in deep for £399. I've had one for 2 years now with no problem. Its not super accurate but it does all I need. Which ever you buy throw the blade away and phone Ian at Tuffsaws. The blade is the main consideration in a bandsaw.

keith

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
I have a Fox F28 and I love it . As I am only interested in turning pens and have no need for a larger bandsaw it fits the bill perfectly.

HardingPens

Apprentice Member
Benchtop bandsaws are usually under powered. I started with a 9" bench top saw and had to cut very slowly to keep from stalling out the motor. Cutting blanks was very slow. I had to stop often to let the motor cool.
Sold the benchtop saw and bought a 14" floor-stand unit second hand for a few dollars more. The difference in cutting speed is amazing.
Lots of people buy bandsaws new, don't use them, and then put them up for sale. Keep an eye out for a good second hand floor stand saw.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).