• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How I sharpen HSS tools

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I made a wooden disk to fit on my chuck from 3/4" wood and it works perfect for me at very little cost wood £000 sanding disk £12 for 100 and away you go warning dont use the red oxide disk as you will see from the pictures you can tell when the tool is at the right angle I have shown a skew, roughing gouge and a parting tool I hope this is of help to someone out there

Attachments

• DSCF1315 (2).JPG
    DSCF1315 (2).JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1317 (2).JPG
    DSCF1317 (2).JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF1318 (2).JPG
    DSCF1318 (2).JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1320 (2).JPG
    DSCF1320 (2).JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1323 (2).JPG
    DSCF1323 (2).JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 80

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Oh the pictures all come out round the way but I'm sure you can see were I'm going
DSCF1325 (2).JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
red oxide disk are for wood and the likes and wont last as long that's all the grey disk are for metalnd will last a lot longer turners retreat sell them as part of there sharpening array but eBay is cheeper Sorry I ment to put a link on to show the ones I use SANDING DISCS SELF ADHESIVE 240 GRIT 150mm 6" x 100 INDASA RHYNOSTICK STICKY | eBay
there is another disk made by M3 which is an imperial microfinishing film aluminum oxide 5" disk they are very good

Jim

Grand Master
Do you use this method for all your tools Woody, including the skew? :thinks:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
The 3rd pic is sharpening a skew the only chisel I dont sharpen this way is the scrapper which is sharpened on an ordinary grinder presented at 90 deg to the stone with just a very light touch to raise a burr I also sharpen my wood chisels this way

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Thanks for the share Woody appreciate the time you took to do that

I also appreciate that now I don't need a grinder the pillar drill fund went up :banana:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Now I need to work how to make the disc. :sob:
Sorry Phil use a screw chuck to turn the dovetail on the back of the disk then remount it in your chuck and clean up and true it up on the face side and the edge job done if your still not sure I have to make another one tomorrow I will take some pics if you want me to

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Self adhesive sanding disc ordered ...Now need to sort out a wooden disc...am I right in assuming that I can fix the wooden disc to the faceplate that came with the lathe ?

Jim

Grand Master
Self adhesive sanding disc ordered ...Now need to sort out a wooden disc...am I right in assuming that I can fix the wooden disc to the faceplate that came with the lathe ?

You certainly can Ed ... :thumbs:

Jim

Grand Master
This is where I have to learn more, stuff like screw chucks !

You make this stuff sound so easy :funny:

You are lucky your thinking is still working Phill, wait until your memory starts going and trying to learn something ... :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You can do it that way Ed but them your faceplate cant be used for anything else if you look at my last pic you will see that I have created a spigot on the back to fit my chuck also what if you need more than one disk then you will need another faceplate I will make up more disk for different grits and for sanding wood

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
This just gets worse :sob:

Trying to work out what kind of jaws A or C are on the supernova chuck I inherited, does it say anywhere in the documentation (yes I read the manual, how rare is that) ......

NO

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).