• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

A kit for small hands?

naxie

Registered
Jack is back at school in September, a big boy now in year 2, :bwink: and wants to make a pen with Daddy to put in his pencil case. He would like something a bit smaller than standard size. Has anyone got any suggestions for a kit to use? :thinks:

Jim

Grand Master
You can use a slimline without the C/B Ed, dont use a center bushing when turning the pen, this way you can make sure that the centers match ... :wink:

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I posted a pen somewhere on here doing just as Jim says, i placed 3 burn stripes near the end of the barrel to give it some character, without using the band does shorten the pen some what. :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You can turn a slimline pen as short as you like just cut the refill to fit the pen as long as both half's are the same length

naxie

Registered
Thanks all. :thumbs: We will try the slimline without a centre band idea as we already have some kits. I'll keep you posted on Jacks latest project. ;)

L200arg

Graduate Member
image.jpg
Here's one I made for my son who is 8 it's a cut down slimline using jims segmenting tutorial. It's just over 4 inches long perfect fr his little hands.
Sorry about the photo I need a bit more practice I think.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
You can use a slimline without the C/B Ed, dont use a center bushing when turning the pen, this way you can make sure that the centers match ... :wink:

You can also shorten the cap down by about half an inch...just long enough that the refill clears the cap. Spring the clip a bit so that it doesn't quite touch the lower barrel, or it will make a mark on the lower barrel when you twist the pen. You can't really shorten the lower barrel because of the length of the refill, unless you also shorten the refill. Sometimes that makes the refill leak.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).