• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Wotchya.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi all.
Well here I am, taking advantage of Georges down time.
Jim I am not sure how your system would cope with two log ins from the same ip address?
I set up a vpn for George to use which results in both of us logging in from the same ip.
He has to maintain anonymity due to the way he lives his life.
He is on the move tonight so I know I am safe to sign in.
That's the main reason I have taken so long to over here, let the boy have his fun he has a lonely life otherwise.
And he likes so much to wind you lot up.
if you want to test I can set up with him that we both try log in at same time but don't want to damage your system in any way.

Are you still looking for another provider? I can recommend ukfsn.org Jason is a friend and I have used hs services for many years with litle or no downtime tell him Brigsy send you.
His servers are in the Hatfield University, he lives a few minutes away in Borehamwood, failing that, Hosthere.co.uk have also given me excellent service for a long time now.

OK with that out of the way I will get on with introducing myself to those who don't already know me.

My name is Brian Wilson I live in Stevenage Herfordshire just down the road from Neil.
I started like all or most of you by turning pens, that's a lie.
I used to own a factory that produced plastic products mainly for the building industry and we had lathes that turned our plastics for bespoke jobs.
I took one of those home when I shut the factory down then started with the pens.
I became disillusioned with the quality of kits and the prices asked for such crap that I gave up after many thousands of them, not as many as Neil now I must say he has stuck it well.
During this time I was introduced to people who require turning for their products, I rarely switch the lathe on these days unless I am getting paid to do so.
Which is just about every weekend and some evenings, I don't usually photograph my work as it is repetitious work ad you wouldn't want to see the nulepost I made today or a box of windmills.
Most of my work is done for builders restoring old properties, finials coving's corbels etc. I do the odd snooker cue and walking stick but mainly stair spindles and component parts.
I would love to get back to doing some small stuff but time inhibits what I can do as I also have to hold down a more than ful time job which I hate.
I work for a large multinational Itcom company as linux expert / support / computer Engineer.
I have a wonderful wife (she is watching and made me say that) my Drain, pet name for Jane we have been married for 40 blissful years.
three offspring of whom I am extremely proud and eight wonderful Grandchildren.
I hate plastic with a vengeance, when you have seen as much as I have you will too. 4 Tonne was my minimum order.
I love wood and working with it but getting fed up with stairs and windmills.
I don't suppose I have much to offer these forums other than telling George to shut his big fat gob, it was me who made him apologise the other day.
and I told his mate Pete to change his profile, HEHE yes George now they all know, oops sorry Pete you have to live with him not me.
I already know a lot of the characters on here so need no introduction them so they can ignore all the above and feel like I know a lot of the others having read so uch over a good while now.
I feel like I already know Jim, David,(who I sent some springs) Terry, Alex, (who I sent a parcel) Matty, Phil and Ed (who I made George aplolgise to)
So I have the upper edge on all of you I know you already but you need to get to know me.
As this is my first posting I will add a little piccy.
01.JPG
02.JPG
My Drain chucked out an old bread board just as I was being asked if I could make a sign for a local lads gate, he is fed up with DHL knocking on his door asking for directions.
Needless to say typical farmer pleading poverty got no money, spent it all on the new range rover and shooting party init?
So I obliged and made him a sign for his gate thats enough for today he bought lots of beer for afterwards I made sure of that.
Good to meet all my new friends and wotchya to the old uns, just when you thought it was safe HHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
where you bin....

about time you found us on here..

Watch out everybody.. :face: this guy is a great pen turner, dont believe anything anyone says about him being grumpy, that used to be the beer. :love_it:

welcome aboard Brian..

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Welcome Brian! Thanks for the springs, they have really come in handy. Also glad to know SOMEONE has some control over George - makes the world seem a safer place somehow ...

:bravo::bravo:

Jim

Grand Master
Welcome Brian, i am pleased you popped in i have heard nothing but good things about you, and thanks for taking care of George (Thou we do love him here i wouldn't tell him that) .. Regarding the IP, it is not an issue it is set to allow the same IP for families etc ... Hopefully the host issue is over so for now we will stay put, but thanks for the recommendations ... :thumbs: I hope one day you will get the urge to start making pens once more, it is a big loss to newbies losing an ace turner ... :wink:

Look forward to meeting you and others at Woody's place, it should be a good day ... :winking:

You need to tell us how you did the lettering on the bread board, it looks very good indeed ... :thumbs:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Brian ,welcome ....is there a laboratory somewhere cloning Brain Wilsons ....you are now the third one to appear in my life.:eeeeek:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You need to tell us how you did the lettering on the bread board, it looks very good indeed
CNC Jim yes I have seen David's work and marvel at it.
Yes I did help George set his up form the other side of the world and marvel at what he achieved too. Bloody resourceful guy.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi you grumpy ol git with a bit of misfortune some of you will meet Brian at my place in Sep joking aside watchyu mate glad you have come now shut the bloody door and start all over again teaching all your wonderful skills

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Welcome !

I'm starting to be really in awe of all the talent that this board is attracting.

But for us newbs it's all good , so much to learn.

If you have some of your pens why not post some I for one would love to see some.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi Brian ,welcome ....is there a laboratory somewhere cloning Brain Wilsons ....you are now the third one to appear in my life.:eeeeek:

Funny you should say that Ed I am brianwilson620 on google email.

One of the Bosses at Fujitsu where I work also Brian Wilson I am Wilson b 12 email at at work but only two Brian's, I had all the company accounts for the last quarter sent to e during the week.
Sums of money I couldn't contemplate the like of. Needless to say it was not meant for my eyes and still I don't get a rise.

I got a tugged by the filth for supposed speeding a little while ago, the rasher that poked its head through my window was gonna clap me in irons and cart me off.
His name was Sergeant Brian Wilson and thought I was taking the P with a capital Pork. It was only his vehicle check that saved my bacon when the van came up in my name.
Bloody Brian Wilson's thats why I had the nick of Brigsy but that's another story init?

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi you grumpy ol git with a bit of misfortune some of you will meet Brian at my place in Sep joking aside watchyu mate glad you have come now shut the bloody door and start all over again teaching all your wonderful skills
Wotchya Sir Woody good to see you having such a great time here dad.
I beg to differ milud, you sir are the one with the wonderful skills who taught so much to so many and mentored us all and still do dad.:love_it:
I am the one with the stupid ideas that hurt when I try them out.:sob:
I had a log explode on me today at full speed, 33 inches long taking the middle down to put a steady in and BAMM good job I have that mesh at the window or I would have had glass to contend with as well.
I will be limping for few days I fear but no black eyes this time thanks to the full face, and the only reason I was wearing that was to show a bit of H&S to my grandson who kept coming in to watch thank the lord he was out at the time.:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
HiYa Brian,
Welcome on board ... :thumbs:

Hi Rowdy, Mr Submariner sir respect to you for that task.
I did my time in mob way back in the late 60's early 70's P117721 Sir. Still remember it, they said I would never forget it and how right they were.
How is Pompy these days?
Neil is ex RN too so there are 3 at least here.

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Well I never, at last an old sea dog surfaces.... Mine was P110304D Sir... Joined St Vincent in 68 left 79. (9 of them in boats) OTUS, ORACLE, ONYX.
Pompey has changed beyond belief, NAAFI clubs gone well it's now a part of the uni.
Vernon is now a shopping center (Gun Wharf) with Spinnaker Tower.. and Dolphin is a Army/Transit Barracks with a Submarine Museum on site.
Again Welcome on board Sir.....

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for the welcome again to you all.
Rowdy
Ganges has gone too but I believe the mast is still there,
I was button boy in 69 when the Prince of Wales paid a visit.
I was on the gun toting team in the tattoo in 70.
Bullwark, Ark Royal 2 & 3 Falklands peace time missed the conflict on reserve.
Spent long time back on shore Gunnery instructor, took the early option and got out to get married, biggest mistake of my life.
Not the getting married bit, I love the missus to bits but should have made the mob a career, I would have a pension now.
Gun Wharf rings big bells evrytime I send an Engineer into the Boots the Chemist store there pain in the butt store for me now.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi Rowdy, Mr Submariner sir respect to you for that task.
I did my time in mob way back in the late 60's early 70's P117721 Sir. Still remember it, they said I would never forget it and how right they were.
How is Pompy these days?
Neil is ex RN too so there are 3 at least here.

I was in the Sea Cadets (T.S Penelope) does that count ?:whistling:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).