• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Going back to an old thread about tools

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
A while ago I posted a thread asking what chisels do you use to turn the blanks. As there are a lot of newcomers some experienced some less so I was wondering what us turners use.??

I have a tendency to use a spindle gouge and a skew!!!!

Jim

Grand Master
For pens Terry, it is a roughing gouge and skew .. On some resins just the skew ... :thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
If your talking about spindle work like pens I use a roughing gouge and a skew if I want to add a bit of design then I would include a spindle gouge and maybe a parting tool even sometimes some miniature tools I did have a favorite short skew I just got my small favorite roughing gouge back but it is very near its lifes end

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I use a flat blade dunno what it's called but will put a pic up tomorrow for all my spindle work, I have a homemade thing for hollowing I use a ground down drill bit in it,
Roughing gauge and or bowl gauge for bowls although I leave the bowls for Woody he is the expert on them.
I have more chisels and gauges than I can shake a stick at but always just pick up my flat un even for pens and small bits.
I think you get your favourite tool and it feels good and comfortable in the hand you can do wonders with it why change a tool just because someone says so.
I don't believe in all these silly rules about negative rake scrapers and bedan tools, if it feels good it will be good, I can be as gentle or as tough as I want with what I use.
Sure I wouldn't attempt using the blatantly wrong tool. The flat goes nowhere near a bowl for instance, or maybe just to put a bead in at the final stage.
I'll post some pics to show how I do it but that doesn't mean you will or even want to.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Roughing gouge, skew, parting tool for squaring (and, hard to believe though it may be, I occasionally use it for parting!) and an old cheap nasty parting tool for scraping glue off bushings.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Interesting that most turners are going for the roughing gouge and skew. I thought maybe some of the lesser experienced turners may have opted for a scraper instead of the skew!!!!!:thinks:

I must say the skew took some taming. I had plenty of bites and tearout before I learned to have a very light touch. When I segment with brass it gets even worse - brass will grab and cause the blank to explode in the wink of an eye ...

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
For making pens I find a 5/8 or 1/2 inch bowl gouge that way from the square using the centre as a scraper action no nasty wing split cuts then it could be upside down and still work great. Then I shape somewhat and finish with any of a few scrapers always on the flat and all design work with the pointed end. The wing splits are also easy to acheive or more so with a roughing gouge IMHO. Especially with our really rugged timbers. When the great Frenchman demoed his Bedan ( used by every tradesman turner in that country for ever) many years ago we all made a square HS Steel scraper cut at 45% as a Bedanbut it can be a bit savage for mine perfect for shoulders to fit a chuck though. Seems every UK or US hero on the visits promote their own version of wunderchisel. The real confusion is also they all had a speciality, long stems, cathedral length box tops a la Richard Raffan also his fiddle sticks, stems etc. One of the great things for me when a mate really clever with giant bowls from bridge timber etc only ever used a lower grade scraper for everything. Another mate never used his grinding wheel conventionally for bowl gouges sharpening them on the flat of the wheel in front using the rest eyeing the cutting face from above this I have done ever since.

There are world beaters who hand sharpen on really course grinding wheels with huge success others like me use double ended wheels one courser than the other for shaping and finishing one time or another I have bought and used a number of so called answer to prayers devices to hold chisels for sharping and shaping.

These days before a session I sharpen a few of each tool I use so Im not rushing over to the grinder for quite a while keeping my mind in the groove. For my finishing skew I have set the simple rest for ages it seems and angle the scew to the stone watching for the sparks just over the top of the cutting edge, incidentally if it perchance becomes uneven that is a different slightly one side shoulder to the other if its sharp I carry on and use it next sharpening making the shoulders more even and so on.

Whatever floats your boat there are no true rules only perceptions if you adapt to the shape and size a choice we all face in life.

Have fun I do.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I use a flat blade dunno what it's called but will put a pic up tomorrow for all my spindle work, I have a homemade thing for hollowing I use a ground down drill bit in it,
Roughing gauge and or bowl gauge for bowls although I leave the bowls for Woody he is the expert on them.
I have more chisels and gauges than I can shake a stick at but always just pick up my flat un even for pens and small bits.
I think you get your favourite tool and it feels good and comfortable in the hand you can do wonders with it why change a tool just because someone says so.
I don't believe in all these silly rules about negative rake scrapers and bedan tools, if it feels good it will be good, I can be as gentle or as tough as I want with what I use.
Sure I wouldn't attempt using the blatantly wrong tool. The flat goes nowhere near a bowl for instance, or maybe just to put a bead in at the final stage.
I'll post some pics to show how I do it but that doesn't mean you will or even want to.

Brian that flat blade tool you use would it be the spindle master you got at the Spalding woodworkers show

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Brian that flat blade tool you use would it be the spindle master you got at the Spalding woodworkers show
I am not sure Woody. I have so many tools I don't know where what came from mate. Was that set of miniatures any good to you I couldn't get on with them?
I will start a separate post later with my methods and favourite tools, it may help someone or kill em trying.:funny::funny::funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I am not sure Woody. I have so many tools I don't know where what came from mate. Was that set of miniatures any good to you I couldn't get on with them?
I will start a separate post later with my methods and favourite tools, it may help someone or kill em trying.:funny::funny::funny:
AAArrrrghh and here.
OOps Bloody George must have used my confuser in the workshop to log on cos I have just seen his ugly mug on my post.
Sorry Jim this post was me not my pain in the neck.
You bloody wait till I see you George how many times do I have to tell you don't save passwords on a shared confuser.
I'll sort an avatar out later but I can hear the pub calling me for Sunday lunchtime beer init?

My lovely bright blue eyed stupid bloody idiot of a son has just left my house with his two beautiful daughters and locked my shed from the outside with me still in it.
And you reckon George is bad? I am sharing my shed with a Bees nest and really don't want to be in here DRAIN HELP ME QUICK PLEASE BABE.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
AAArrrrghh and here.
OOps Bloody George must have used my confuser in the workshop to log on cos I have just seen his ugly mug on my post.
Sorry Jim this post was me not my pain in the neck.
You bloody wait till I see you George how many times do I have to tell you don't save passwords on a shared confuser.
I'll sort an avatar out later but I can hear the pub calling me for Sunday lunchtime beer init?

My lovely bright blue eyed stupid bloody idiot of a son has just left my house with his two beautiful daughters and locked my shed from the outside with me still in it.
And you reckon George is bad? I am sharing my shed with a Bees nest and really don't want to be in here DRAIN HELP ME QUICK PLEASE BABE.

Hi Brian yes I used the spindle gouge to do the thin bit on the last blackwood pot I made

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Hi Brian yes I used the spindle gouge to do the thin bit on the last blackwood pot I made
That pleases me dad they have gone to the best home they could wish for.
Vinny sold me them told me they were the best thing since sliced bread, not cheap either but no point hanging on to em if I don't gonna use em init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).