• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

KITLESS Instructions part 1

jameshj

First Name
james
Fountain Pen Sections Type1 jameshj

I make two types in Plastic, Wood and Aluminum. The process is the same for all materials.
Type 1
Both the body and the cap screw onto the Section.This type only requires a tap for the Housing and a tap and die for the thread to attach the body and cap to the Section. I use the type Section with a size 5 Boch Nib, Housing and feeder, I can produce a much thiner pen this way.

This type section and the drills, taps, die blanks and a outline of the process are shown below,

6.4 x 6 Tap, 5.8 drill for the tap size, and a 7.3 drill for to fit housing.
10 x 0.75 fine metric tap and die and a 9,2 drill for the tap .
1 @ 150mm x 18mm pen blank for body and cap.
1 @ 35mm x 18mm blank for section (the dia could be smaller).
A centre drill.

Centre drill the blank and drill 5.8 hole through the blank. Pic 4.
Put between centres, and make out . 25mm, 2mm leaving 8mm. Pic 5.
Turn each end down to exactly 10 mm, use a 1.5 parting tool for the relief grove ( depth of threads 0.35mm 0 each side of the ring. Pic 6

S 1.jpg

S 2.jpg

S 3.jpg

S 4.jpg

S 5.jpg

S 6.jpg

jameshj

First Name
james
KITLESS Instructions part 2

Thread the short end (10 x 0.75). Pic 7
Drill and thread (10 x 0.75) 2@ 40mm pieces of aluminum to use as a mandrel. Pic 8
Put the threaded end into mandrel and thread (10 x 0.75) Pic 9 and 10
Bring the tailstock up to the work piece and remove threads leaving 4 or 5 threads as shown. Pic 11.
Drill a clearance hole for the housing (7.3) to a depth of 23.5 mm. Pic 12.
Thread using the 6.4 x 0.6 tap. Pic 13

S 7jpg.jpg

S 8.jpg

S 9.jpg

S 10.jpg

S 11.jpg

S 12.jpg

S 13.jpg

jameshj

First Name
james
KITLESS Instructions part 3

Check the Nib Housing fits etc. Pic 14.
A clearance hole for the Cartridges or a Converter must be drilled using a 7.3 drill. Great care must be taken with the depth you drill as you are left with only 3 or 4 threads, so be careful. Pic 15.
The finished Section. Pic 16

S 14.jpg

S 15.jpg

S 16.jpg

I will continue with the cap and body i due time

jameshj

Jim

Grand Master
Excellent James, really informative and will help others going down this road for sure .. :thumbs:

Is this going to be put in the tutorials sections?

With James's permission Mark, i will add this to the tutorial area for sure .. :wink:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).