• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Record DML 36SH - Opinions

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
As it says really, any opinions on this lathe ?

Please bear in mind I will be moving up from a SIP 01492 tiny lathe inherited from Dad. So it will be more capable than what I have.

Someone local is selling one on fleabay and it looks OK, I have no idea what it will go for in the end.

Any good for pens and possibly some bowl work ?

See what you've started Woody :sob:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A few questions for you seeing as you mention making bowls has it got a swiveling headstock which is very handy when making bowls not essential but a big help especially on the back saves you having to lean over the bed bars to hollow out how much use has it had because for bowl work it has quite a low powered motor it will cope with small bowls but nothing over say 8" x 3" good luck I would say £150 with the bowl turning attachment and swiveling headstock would be my maximum it is half the price of a new one £125 without the bowl turning attachment they are £260 new
DML36SH-CAM Swivel Head 4 Speed Intermediate Lathe

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
It has the swivel and in the pic it has the attachment.

Says used a little and looks in good nick.

I'll take Terry's comment on board as well thanks Terry.

I think it's someone selling who has no idea about it from the listing.

I'll stick on the watch list and see how it goes, 4 days on it.

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Phil, it would be a whole lot better than your current lathe! Low motor power and lack of variable speed are the downsides, but you'd still have a whole lot of fun!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Is it this one your looking at RECORD POWER LATHE | eBay recon it will do a 14" bowl it has 1/3 hp motor if so it is the same as the smaller DML lathe which I had many years ago and there is no way you could make to many of them 14" bowls on it 9" yes you would get away with for a few years another point to remember the motor on them dose get hot on all of them it is a common thing but there in nothing wrong with them anyway back to the lath it look in extremely good nick it looks as if there are a few tools going with it as well just dont get carried away on the bidding a good gauge for price on second hand machines is about 1/2 the retail price

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).