• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Sharpening chisels is a sinch

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Last week I was bleating on about sharpening TC chisels and asking about bench grinders and jigs and stuff, it was really worrying me,not only the presumed skill and expertise needed but also another extra cost to add to the price of setting up shop. I even snapped at poor old Georges ankles for what he had said ....I'm sure now that he was only joking ...in his reply to my post...sorry George.
Anyhows the lads on this forum came to my aid..first Woody who basically said Nah, forget grinders and jigs and stuff this is what you need, Terry for his post on a home made sander which I based my sharpener on and the Ramrod man for his encouragement on the chisel side of the story.

The whole thing cost me under sixteen pounds ,I have used it today and this sharpening thing seems to be a doddle I even managed to put an edge on my TC skew and it now cuts a treat ..just like when I bought it. I found the whole thing simple to make and simple to use .Thanks again chaps.:rock:

Here it is:-

Attachments

• P1040971.JPG
    P1040971.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 165

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
There you go some times it is best to ask and just get on with it instead of worrying for weeks then trying good on yer Ed

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Ed you have no need to apologise to George believe me mate, I was watching that thread and jumped on him immediately.
His comments were totally out of order and he damn well knew it. It is he who should and did apologise to you.
Jim was quick to bring him to justice and he got short shrift from me too.
If we can't help then we need not comment, Jokes are fine in right place and light hearted pee taking perfectly acceptable but no need to be rude about it init?
Nuff said. I have a little thing I use and have done for a long time. It was a permanent set up on my Myford lathe when I had that but now I have to stick it in my banjo.
I'll take a pic and show it, it is so simple anyone can make it and works an absolute treat every time.

Jim

Grand Master
Under 16 quid is a good result Ed, no more blunt tools for this price is good going ...:winking:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Ear yar. I used to have this one the backplate of the Myford all the time sept when I was using it for bowls.
I do miss the backplate biggly I must say hey ho move on init?
I made this just to see if it wood work and how well, as you can see it is nowhere near accurate and I always promised myself I wood do a proper one but that ain't happened yet I still use this.
Whatever it is for accuracy it is repeatably the same ensuring the same grind every time,
George made himself a couple of nice ones when he saw how easy it is, I thought he showed them somewhere but ain't seen em.
Yours I am 100% certain will be the mutts.
1.JPG

2.JPG

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Good setup Ed, glad its all come good.... and cheap as chips..
I have my eye on Grump's jig - brilliantly simple - this site is the ace ain't.....:banana::banana::banana:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Ear yar. I used to have this one the backplate of the Myford all the time sept when I was using it for bowls.
I do miss the backplate biggly I must say hey ho move on init?
I made this just to see if it wood work and how well, as you can see it is nowhere near accurate and I always promised myself I wood do a proper one but that ain't happened yet I still use this.
Whatever it is for accuracy it is repeatably the same ensuring the same grind every time,
George made himself a couple of nice ones when he saw how easy it is, I thought he showed them somewhere but ain't seen em.
Yours I am 100% certain will be the mutts.
View attachment 1421

View attachment 1422

That looks like my next project, Grumps. Ta very much for showing it .:up:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That looks like my next project, Grumps. Ta very much for showing it .:up:

Be sure to show us Ed you can make it any angle any width, the 2 risers are just a guide, the tools sit nicely in the dropped centre so you simply turn the gouge against the disc.
Seeing yours might make me get my finger out and do another for myself.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Be sure to show us Ed you can make it any angle any width, the 2 risers are just a guide, the tools sit nicely in the dropped centre so you simply turn the gouge against the disc.
Seeing yours might make me get my finger out and do another for myself.

Bloody hell ..the pressure's on..:shocking:

Jim

Grand Master
The good thing with that Brian, is you can make them to any degree .. For next to nothing ... :thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
The good thing with that Brian, is you can make them to any degree .. For next to nothing ... :thumbs:
And don't restrict your slef to just one, I don't figured out the fingernail profile yet I still do that hand eye.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).