• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Conkerberry from north australia

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Only found in Australia, my mate described collecting as death by a thousand tears Conkerberry or Native Plum does not grow over about 5 metres in height is covered in wicked thorns and because it is dense between bushes the gatherer lays out flat on his face and cuts a butt cut someone passes in a cinch connected to the ute or truck and after the guy gets pulled out with a rope and covered in band aids using the tow hook to pull one bush clear the cutting up commences into brach sizes.. The timber is dense as heavy as wet as and takes quite a time to dry. White ants like it as much as we do so most pieces are eaten out from the sapwood and to get my preferred cross cut at right angles there are lots of losses. Getting rarer than but I love it. This mate is close to my age and probably will not go under another Conkerberry bush. It lives up to two hundred years. Colour varies from blazing pinks, reds to orange, brown.

I am in the midst of sorting my blanks so I can move in my blank room. Just reached one side with baskets holding roughly this much on the floor now stacked until I empty the shelves all round the room. This will take another two weeks.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks:

Attachments

• DSCF0006.JPG
    DSCF0006.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).