• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How I made this two for one

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
A malle burr with two two bowls in one bit of wood note the injury I now call it an ouch bowl my own fault I tried to hold it and flatten the bottom on my button jaws it dont work
First I fitted two very light home made small face plates that will grip in my jaws I made mine with aluminum but they could be made out of hard wood and fitted just one at a time this will help with the balance but you must fined the two centers first before you start turning
First stage is to get what is going to be the face flat fix your first face plate on the face side then find the right speed because it is completely out of balance and it will be all the time so start of slow and build the speed up sorry but I cant remember what speed I used was to make two spigots one at a time when you have made the first spigot and are on to the second keep stopping to cheek on the middle of the piece of wood so that you get an even surface but yoe may have to do quite a lot of sanding by hand the spigots are 1 3/4" to fit the O'Donnall jaws from Axminster but any will do

Then turn it over and make the bowls one at a time again keep stopping as you progress on both bowls just follow the same method as when you do the bottom as for the finish I used sanding sealer and paste wax all off the lathe O hope this will be of help to somebody out there and happy turning

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 7e.JPG
    7e.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 7d.JPG
    7d.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 48

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Last photo note I left it quite thick I think this helps to balance the whole thing up and that is that enjoy I will be happy to answer any questions you may have the only stupid question is the one you dont ask
006.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Sorry but there are a few grammar mistakes I tried to edit but I was to late but I'm sure you will get the gist of what to do senior moment and it has been a while since i dine one of these good luck

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
My mind is boggling at the ingenuity of this piece ...wow it's fantastic. Thanks, Woody for showing and the tutorial .:claps::claps:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Hi Woody thought I would jump in before we go further on this to say I had to look twice myself. Good value adding at your purchase price you would probably pay that over here for the Mallee.

You set a great pace with your turning ahead of the pack. The last big bowl I did was around nearly a metre full of holes and the pukker factor was extreme using Ash Burl, decided to go small with pens etc.

Neat change of design also cause you cant ship Burl with bark on it out of here it sure helps to know at purchase just what you have to work with. Our losses are high with Burl mostly wet and with bark raising the cost no end cause when you buy it the price before debarking and drying is the weight you pay for.

Breath of fresh air to see such work using Aussie timber that I really love.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
What can I say?
Awe stricken, nae gobsmacked, hope the wound heals quickly luckily it wasn't worse ta care that man.

Jim

Grand Master
Lovely piece of turning Woody, and thanks for the tutorial ... The bar is set high, so i will wait awhile to make my charge ... :frenchkiss:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Oi you be careful dad bloody hell, its me that gets urt not you init?
lovely bowl but a what price?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).