• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Woobly Chuck

broadsea

First Name
John
Recently I have had a wobble on my lathe. I checked the level...fine then I am sure I read an article about chuck wobble. My chuck is a fox mt1. I had to fit an adjustment bit for it to fit my mt2 lathe. I am sure somewhere I read that after some time this could cause a wobble. Is there anything that can be done if this is right? Or is it a case of purchasing a chuck with mt2 thread? Hope this makes sense. :rolling:

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
John mt1 & mt2 have nothing to do with the thread size, it is the size of the tapers in the headstock spindle & tail stock quill.
It is always better to use a chuck with the right size thread so it screws directly onto the spindle but I've used a chuck on a thread adoptor for years without any trouble. Make sure your chuck is tight on the adaptor & that the adaptor is up to the spindle register ( shoulder) when screwed onto the spindle. Hope this helps.

Midnightlunchbox

Registered
First Name
Craig
Make sure all the threads and morse tapers are clean from dust etc, it's incredible how a tiny bit of crap can knock a chuck or drive centre off.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).