• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Home made tool

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
This tool has several uses it will roll beads, balls, planeing cuts, clean up end grain and cut coves all in one tool and one blade I made this one from 1/2" stainless steel the ones i had before were 3/8" and 1/4" and they work perfectly I am going to grind the angle a bit longer possibly some were between 35 deg and 40 deg

Attachments

• DSCF1404 (2).JPG
    DSCF1404 (2).JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCF1403 (2).JPG
    DSCF1403 (2).JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF1397 (2).JPG
    DSCF1397 (2).JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 137
  • DSCF1398 (2).JPG
    DSCF1398 (2).JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF1401 (2).JPG
    DSCF1401 (2).JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 135

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Its the same profile tip as one you made on your uni tool

I saw that dad. I'll have to look through the database and see if I can find the tut I did on that, there may be some here interested in making one for themselves.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I saw that dad. I'll have to look through the database and see if I can find the tut I did on that, there may be some here interested in making one for themselves.

I should recon there will be mate I'm waiting for bill to return my one he borrowed it but he seems to be very distant lately I phoned him a few weeks ago to remind him but I'm still waiting

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Im going to make a three point tool and a round skew and some carbide tools then a set of real miniature tools from masonry nails soon all tools that I miss having when they are done I will be up to par again lets not forget some bent scrappers oh well the list is getting longer best buy some more metal

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Woody,

I see you are building up your arsenal of tools. My pen set up makes it difficult to use larger tools such as this because the angle of use as you displayed it would be far too long however using tool steel easily overcome with a small tool. I have cut most of my chisel handles half size these days only for pen use.

Really like your turning skill, love the handle, also I can see distinct advantages in your flat sharpening method as using a grinding wheel on the front would concave it and the scraping would assume a curve making it only suitable from one face.

Thank you for stimulating my choices as sorting out from my collection of chisels is once again in progress. Our massive to me Working With Wood Show is here at the end of the month and I have volunteered three days as a Steward as our A.C.T. Woodcraft Guild receive generous free space to conduct our Annual Competition, demonstrations and free access to sell at this time I will take a few pics this year but submit some from a previous year to illustrate.

Kind regards Peter.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Ha Ha dad I might have some 3 or 4 inch tool steels hanging around I am sure I can spare a few 3/8 probably.
I found the first part of my tut but cant find the additions you put on.
For anyone who is interested I have chucked it up the interweb here One Good Turn Deserves Another
Feel free to copy it I will be flattered Jim if you like it maybe you could add it in your tuts section.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).