• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Making moulds

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Hi
There's a current thread about resin supplies and a question has come about where to buy moulds. I make them (much cheaper - though not as neat as resin saver moulds I've seen on the web).

Make a positive first - wood, covered in vaseline/petroleum jelly to stop silicone sticking to it. Also, it's screwed together so it can be taken apart to get the silicone mould out once set.

2015-10-17 15.24.52.jpg

I use ordinary bathroom silicone. You don't get the same neat finish as you can get with the pourable rtv silicone. I empty a tube or two into a bowl of warm water with washing up liquid in and I wear gloves! Mould the silicone into a lump under the water and then force into the mould. Once in the mould I used a piece of mdf to force it down as much as possible. This piece of mdf forms a base to the finished mould.

2015-10-17 15.24.59.jpg

The finished and used moulds...

2015-10-17 15.25.15.jpg

I know they look a little messy but when turned the blanks look ok...

2015-09-20 18.44.17.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Thanks for adding Stewart .. If it works then it's a good un .. :thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
That smell caused me temporary blindness one time I was heavily into fish keeping 26 aquariums and I had a breeding tank with a metal base leaned over it to coat with silicone it felt next day like a welding flash all gravelly. There are so many slicones these days this one you used sets well.

Peter.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Like you Stewart I made mine from silicon and found it works a treat instead of lining the mould with vasoline I used cling film and made the square block to form the recess seperate and held it in place with double sided tape so once it was removed the box is used as a support because I only made mine 1/2" thick all round saves on silicon. At the moment I use a clamp to hold the loose side. The reason I left one loose side was for easy removable during the making as well as being able to lift it out when the resin has set.

Attachments

• DSCF4508-001.jpg
    DSCF4508-001.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCF4509.jpg
    DSCF4509.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 52

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Nice one. I've got a block like that from when I was using PR. The alumilite is more pricey and so I've restricted myself to just single pen blanks for now. I'm tempted by the polyurethane resins from the supplier you use but I'm not sure they will do for pen blanks. Have you ever used it?

cheers

Stewart

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
Nice one. I've got a block like that from when I was using PR. The alumilite is more pricey and so I've restricted myself to just single pen blanks for now. I'm tempted by the polyurethane resins from the supplier you use but I'm not sure they will do for pen blanks. Have you ever used it?

cheers

Stewart

I am using PR at the moment but am tempted with PU as well which many say is very similar to Alumilite

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Am just casting now with my last alumilite. Will give PU a go when I generate some funds. ....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
38cf3fdf4671273c686166914159f982.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).