• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Three footed bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Yew three footed bowl 8" I have more photos of how it was made if anyone is interested

Attachments

• 50.JPG
    50.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 51.JPG
    51.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 34

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Right first the obvious make a bowl no you dont say, oh yes I do sorry he keeps interfering make and polish bowl with a spigot on the bottom 1/ to fit the jaws on your chuck 2/ the size you want for your feet to be mine is 3" (the foot) so obviously I used 3" jaws (the spigot must have a mark dead center this is important as you will see latter) you can do all your finishing at the end if you wish be it oil or polish once the bowl is made fold a wad of paper towel to put between your chuck and the bowl this is for to protect the bowl then bring up your tailstock to the mark you made at the start to jam the bowl against the wad of toweling then reshape the spigot for the feet and remove the center there will be a dimple left in the middle dont remove this just yet
There are two ways of marking were the feet go one by using your indexing facility on the lathe every 8th hole or remove and use a protractor or if you feel cocky by eye hang on that's three ways then remove the wast wood first remove the dimple left in the middle with a sharp chisel then attack the rim I used a burr to remove most of it then a drum sander to clean it all up but there will be some hand sanding as well then polish the remainder by hand and that should be that you are now the proud owner of a three footed bowl well done
1.jpg3.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Finishing the bottom remember to lock your lathe spindle with your indexing facility when shaping the feet there I hope you enjoy and happy turning7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
A classy bowl and a great tutorial Woody on ethat i won't be attemting though, certainly not until I have more confidence.

Jim

Grand Master
Well done Woody, you make it sound easy ... :sob:

Lovely bowl my friend .... :bwink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Every thing is easy when you know how LOL most of the time it is just having the confidence to try

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thank you all gentlemen I am so pleased you enjoyed it at least now I wont get beaten with a cricket bat LOL:face::face:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).