• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bloody Meths.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Brad was having difficulty with his finishing and I gobbed off about showing him how I do it.
I wished I hadn't cos we spent all afternoon sodding about with two small tubes trying to get them right, to no avail.
This was the purpose of last weeks visit when he came to see me.

In particular he was concerned about Walnut and African black giving him grief.
It gave me grief to and lots of it, he left some blanks for me to play with which on and off all week I have been trying different things.
Every attempt came up either misty or bloomed in some way, I couldn't understand what was going wrong.

Today I put everything away and started again from scratch, doing what I always used to do before he came along and messed up my system.
Eureka this was my first attempt today and I ain't displeased with it, It's the Meth's Brad throw it away and just polish the wood.
This has just been rubbed down starting at 400 grit to 1000 then through the mm topped off with a dab of Kiwi natural.
polishing the natural oils of the wood is all I diddly dun init?

P1100172.jpg

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
It's the Meth's Brad throw it away and just polish the wood.
This has just been rubbed down starting at 400 grit to 1000 then through the mm topped off with a dab of Kiwi natural.
polishing the natural oils of the wood is all I diddly dun init?

View attachment 21774

Um, sorry to upset yer apple cart Grump me ole cocker .... BUT !!

I only started using meths after I made the post about my problem, but before I visited you, I have since had no issues with the "blooming" blanks :thumbs:

So Sherlock I think your assumption is maybe wrong. :winking:

I've concluded Holmes that I was just being too heavy handed when cutting back the CA, you've seen em, they're huge :funny:

Anyhow, I think it's best you stay well clear of meths considering what happened .. :funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Nice pen by the way :face:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Um, sorry to upset yer apple cart Grump me ole cocker .... BUT !!

I only started using meths after I made the post about my problem, but before I visited you, I have since had no issues with the "blooming" blanks :thumbs:

So Sherlock I think your assumption is maybe wrong. :winking:

I've concluded Holmes that I was just being too heavy handed when cutting back the CA, you've seen em, they're huge :funny:

Anyhow, I think it's best you stay well clear of meths considering what happened .. :funny:

Nice pen by the way :face:

Oh ta for that, I never used Meths until you came along init?:sob::sob:
And yeah you don't got hands, your mitts is more like bloody shovels init?:funny::funny:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That's a nice one, Brian! And you managed to photograph it far better than I did mine!!!:sob::sob::sob:

Bob.

Took a dozen or so pics Bob, flash on, flash off, under the room light, under led spotlight, done on a old envelope on me desk.
Used the best pic that came out, none of em very goodly but can be seen just about init?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
:funny::funny::funny: Love the video clip Brian.
That's a hell of a tan you had there as a kid though, did your parents leave you out in the sun? :devil::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).